Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-20-2010

Buenos Aires

23 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 1 of 5

T400 battery charge won't pass 79% (48hs to fully charge!). WEIRD problem.

2010-05-20, 22:34 PM

Hey guys. I need a hand on this really strange problem.

I own a new T400 thinkpad, provided by my new job. But the laptop is having a REAL weird problem while it charges.

Here's the deal: Everytime I start charging it from a lower gauge, let's say, 30%, it all goes good. The percentage goes up in a normal speed and the time to fully charge that it shows when I pass the mouse over the green bar is completely logic.

The problem starts to happen when the battery reaches, let's say, 55%. Since then, the percentage starts going up slower than usual, and the time to fully charge starts to increase (!!) when it should be decreasing!

For example, at 55% it says 2:20hs (don't know exactly) to fully charge, but when it reaches 60%, it starts to say 3:15hs to fully charge! And while the percentage increases even more and more slowly, the time that shows to fully charge keeps incrementing. When it reaches 70% it shows like 10hs to fully charge!

The thing is, after like 10hs of charging, it finally reaches 79%, showing 48hs to fully charge and there it stays. It won't pass that mark.

I already tried a new battery and it keeps doing the same thing! I've updated to the latest BIOS, the latest power manager and the latest power management driver and it keeps going the same way. I can turn off the laptop, keep the cable plugged in for many many hours, and the battery indicator keeps lighting, so I definitely think its a hardware problem.

Its really really weird. What most bothers me is that it takes like 10hs to reach 79% from, for example, 50%. So that kind of forces me to use it ALWAYS with the cable plugged in.

I'm starting to think it can be a motherboard defect or something like that.

Does anyone faced the same issue ? Anyone got any ideas on what could be happening here ?

Any info would be really appreciated!

Regards!

Options

3 Posts

05-20-2010

Buenos Aires

23 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: T400 battery charge won't pass 79% (48hs to fully charge!). WEIRD problem.

2010-05-22, 1:35 AM

anyone ? :smileysad:

Options

921 Posts

11-26-2008

Norway

8089 Signins

59129 Page Views

• Views: 59129
  • Message 3 of 5

2010-05-22, 2:13 AM

Hi Emiliano55,

I have seen the same thing with a T400s where it stopped at 80%. I'm not sure if that computer had the slow charging you mention, but could have been the case. It was not my computer so don't have all the details about how long it took to reach 80%, but remember that battery charge would not pass 80% even if we left the computer charging for days. We started by trying a brand new battery with the same problem. So we replaced the motherboard that fixed the problem.

Since your problem sound like the exact same thing i'm guessing it's the motherboard in your case as well.

-gan

Options

1 Posts

03-14-2011

CA, USA

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 4 of 5

2011-03-14, 15:39 PM

Hi Emiliano,

I came across your problem while I was looking for a way to FORCE my computer to stop charging the battery at 79%. My laptop stays plugged in almost all the time, and I heard that it is better for long term battery life if it does not stay at 100% charge. So your problem may actually be a software setting. Check under Power Manager -> Battery Maintenance and see if you have the optimized charging option selected.

Hope that helps!

Options

128 Posts

02-17-2009

Sydney, Australia

285 Signins

1775 Page Views

• Views: 1775
  • Message 5 of 5

2011-03-16, 7:35 AM

Have you tried resetting the battery gauge?

Go to Power Manager, Battery tab, Battery Maintenance button, and reset.

It performs a full drain and full charge cycle. It fixed my problem last time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms