Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbessie
Punch Card
Views: 1,038
Message 1 of 1

T400 gets "Hardware Malfunction ... NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error"

In the past, I can reliably get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) on my new T400 if I dock it while it is sleeping, then wake it up.

NOW I've started getting an even scarier message in a similar vein.

I have my laptop and desktop on a DVI KVM (keyboard/video/mouse switcher); I have many USB devices attached via the switcher, on hubs.

I was switching back between machines, and after working on the desktop for awhile, switched to the T400.  What did I find there but:

*** Hardware Malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

*** The system has halted ***

I've seen this message associated with docking/undocking on the T60 series, but nothing about it on the T400.  Since this happens when I switch the KVM, when 5 or 6 USB devices are all registering on the system, it could be anything that causes this.  It doesn't happen all the time, but just sometimes, so please don't suggest I enable/disable drivers one at a time, etc., as that could take weeks or months to reproduce and possibly result in no solution.

Has anybody had this problem, or the dock/undock BSOD problem?

These problems, combined with the flakey sound card problems I've been having, seem to indicate that my T400 might be something of a lemon (tho' in general it works fine).  I have NEVER had this problem with any laptop I've ever owned before.

- Tim

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors