Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beaver
Paper Tape
Views: 3,790
Message 1 of 8

T400 issues with Windows XP x64

Hey,

I've installed Windows XP Professional x64 on my T400 (NM51JHV aka 2767-1JG), I needed this because I added 2 gigs of ram to my laptop, so for using 4 gigs I would need a 64-bit OS. My further extras for the standard config is an SSD drive instead of the HDD and i'm using a 256Mb SD flash card as E: drive (where I store all them temp files, even those which is created by the Windows, for example the local internet web cache...)

I have a few issues with my config, I hope somebody can help me with them.

(If not, in that case at least I collect some - maybe common - issues):

1., OSD is not working (I've installed the hotkey and OSD drivers of course). Is there WinXP 64-bit support for that?

2., Access Connections is not working under 64 bit platform.. Any workaround?

3., The Authentec Fingerprint Reader has no 64 bit driver for XP. Is there any third-party driver?

4., And the most important: The laptop cannot go to standy or shutdown the computer. When I go to standby or shutdown, the Windows drops a dialog  box "Preparing for standby" and nothing happens...

5., System Update 3.14 crashes with an error message something like "An error occurred during the data retieval" or data gathering)

Other things seems to be working perfectly.

Thank you in advance for your appreciated help.

I hope there is somebody in my shoe.

Retired Guru
Views: 3,782
Message 2 of 8

Re: T400 issues with Windows XP x64

1. The OSD requires a Lenovo proprietary driver. Considering that Lenovo doesn't support XP x64, you will likely not be able to get this feature working.

2. See number 1.

3. See number 1.

4. It's likely that Lenovo did not test the T400 hardware with XP x64. This would explain the failure to do basic on/off instructions. Maybe a Google search will result in some kind of fix.

5. See number 1

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
beaver
Paper Tape
Views: 3,758
Message 3 of 8

Missing x64 port os System Updater, Access Connections is not a big pain.

The reboot, shutdown, standby issue is still open. Even when I do a shutdown in XP Task Manager I got "Preparing for shutdown", then this dialog box disappears, there is my background and a not moving mouse cursor. My HDD is working lightly (the LED flashing, but not too frequent) and nothing else happens for 10-20 minutes.

The same with Windows XP 32 bit, Vista 32 bit and XP x64.

So this issue is not related to the OS itself I'm afraid.

I installed the latest IBM ACPI drivers "IBM Power Management" driver, updated the BIOS to the latest one, and those not helped.

The same with the Lenovo provided Inftool drivers (Intel core drivers, I forgot how they named it), and with the latest one from Intel. BIOS now in factory defaults, but the issue still exists.

I goggled a lot, but many other customers has problem with wake up and not the shutdown itself..

What are the next steps?

Retired Guru
Views: 3,746
Message 4 of 8

In that case, it could be hardware related. I suggest you contact Lenovo support.

Even a base Windows installation [either Vista or XP] without drivers should have little to no problems with a shutdown and/or restart. However, I'm sure there are exceptions.

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 07-23-2009 06:53 PM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,732
Message 5 of 8

Hello beaver,

just want to add that XP 64 is not an official OS, supported by Lenovo.

If you want to utilize 4GB ram, then Vista 64 will be the recommendation.
All ThinkVantage programs like OSD or SystemUpdater, fingerprint and so on will work then.

Please also take out your SD card and other possible cards your are using.

Using a SD card won´t help to make your system faster, cause your SSD is already very fast and faster as an SD.

A SD configuration could cause problems, cause the system tries to store information on it, during the shut down process.

The system then wont´shut down.

Please refer to this Vista clean install guide.

And for further readings I would suggest the ThinkPad Superguide by Arkit3kt

For futher investigations, if it is a hardware problem download, install and run Lenovo System Tool Box.

You´ll find it at your Lenovo support page.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

beaver
Paper Tape
Views: 3,723
Message 6 of 8

Vista: Even 32 or 64 bit edition I know it's supported and working, but my basic perspective was to prevent installing Vista on my laptop. This is a theoretical question why I avoid using Vista (for example: an OS which is using one gigs of ram at idle is not a OS that's a nice flipper game), and practically I want to use my laptop at my workplace and at home too. At work, the Service Desk management not recommended Vista Smiley Happy and that's not supported Smiley Happy

I'm a kind of man who finds a standard WinXP too slow and nLiteing it.

Meanwhile I'm using Debian Linux 64-bit on my secondary partition and everything is working except the Fingerprint reader (the driver is under development, and will be released in Dec)

SD: I found the same, even I'm using SD for preventing unnecessary disk writes to my SSD it's much more slower than the SSD.. The best SD cards has 15 Megs/sec read/write speed which is nothing to my SSD which can provide 80-150 Mb/sec read and 80 mb/sec write speed.. 

SD card is not related to my shutdown issue, when I removed the card the effect was the same. But that was a good idea, thanks.

Fortunately I managed to solve my shutdown/reboot/standby issue. 

I found a Microsoft article on KB which said some camera drivers can not be unloaded perfectly, there was a hotfix which doesn't helped for me, but I reinstalled the Loenovo's camera driver and the issue was fixed with that.

I will read the ThinkPad SuperGuide, I hope there will be a lot of useful info.

So currently my status is:

-  The Access Connections, System Update, OSD is not supported on this platform. I accept it.

-  There is 3 "unknown device" in the Device Manager (should be the Intel 4500HD video card), checking PCI IDs, and figure out what they are.

- Modem driver is fail during install, but I don't really need a modem.

- Presentation Director gives an error "no permission to write the Temp" (it has Smiley Happy ), and the installation fails.

With all these It's not perfect, but enough good to work.

Thanks again Aggothelf.

Thanks for your reply.

beaver
Paper Tape
Views: 3,655
Message 7 of 8

Unfortunately the shutdown/standby issues is still exists now again. Day before yesterday it worked, and now it doesn't work again. The issue is the same.

As I remember the issue was the same on Vista 32-bit provided by Lenovo.

I can not see anything strange in the Event Viewer, except that the Hotkey drivers are incompatible with my Windows and windows disable them. 

I've tried to stop as much service as possible in the Windows's service manager, but the issue is not solved by that.

Anyway the Vista 32 bit has frozen with blue screen a few times in a day, even when I only played with Quake3.

So I haven't found Vista platform enough stable.

parkinsonbob
What's DOS?
Views: 2,735
Message 8 of 8

Hopefully this helps somebody out but I have been fighting System Update 3.14 for hours now and stumbled across a fix, I too am having issues with Windows XP x64 with error "an error occured collecting user information" After countless updates and installs of .NET framework patches I changed the compatibility mode on System Update to Windows XP BAM!!!!! it worked. If you don't know how to do that right click on system update and go to properties/compatibility tab and drop down the menu to select Windows XP.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors