Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kasahara1618
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,882
Message 1 of 5

T400 shuts off unexpectedly

Hi!

My T400 shuts down unexpectedly recently. I don't know what caused it -- this behavior just seemed to start randomly. I went from "Power Saver" to "Balanced," thinking it might be a power problem, but it still happens.

Symptoms: One interesting sign is that when I close the lid while I'm plugged in, the moon (sleep) shows up like normal but not without the battery with the + sign still lit up. Then the moon light turns off, followed by the battery with the +. Then when you open the lid, the computer is off, so you have to turn it on again. This occurs less now, but the computer can shut down right while I'm using it.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could figure out why this occurs,

Thanks!!!

kasahara1618
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,825
Message 2 of 5

Re: T400 shuts off unexpectedly

Hi, 

Also with this problem is associated:

when I try putting the computer to sleep, it shuts down instead and restarts. Is this familiar to anyone?

Thanks

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,797
Message 3 of 5

so i will shutdown only when you close down the screen? or it shutdown abruptly anytime?

Try downloading TPfancontrol, and see what temperature your GPU and CPU gets to. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
kasahara1618
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,727
Message 4 of 5

Hey thanks for the reply,

It gets to about 40 degrees C on TPFC -- that's usually what it is. i'll look for any higher jumps in temperature. if there are any, how could/should they be controlled/lowered?

the unexpected shutdowns stopped happening, but at least once every day when i put the computer on sleep / shut lid, the computer acts like it sleeps for a moment. then it just immediately restarts. sometimes it restarts ok, but often it restarts with the screen just black, getting me to hit the shutdown/on button. this happens less when i put the computer to sleep with the power charging on, but it can still occur.

perhaps this might help with a better diagnosis...

kasahara1618
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,720
Message 5 of 5

When the computer restarts with emergency when it is supposed to sleep, these things pop up in the event viewer:

1. Warning: custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. the system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

2. Warning: there were like 5 of these for the time of the event: the embedded controller EC returned data when none was requested. the bios might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. this data will be ignored. no further action is necessary: however you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded bios.

this is odd, and i did a little searching around. is anyone familiar with these issues? i got this computer 5-6 months ago, and am not down with getting a new bios.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors