Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wonderbread57
Punch Card
Views: 15,791
Message 1 of 19

T400 sometimes doesn't wake from sleep

I have a T400 with Windows Vista 32bit SP1 (now SP2) and sometimes my ThinkPad won't wake up from sleep.

I have hybrid sleep disabled and I have Hibernation disabled aswell as the Hibernation Idle timer set to 60000 minutes. 

If I put the laptop into sleep mode right now with Fn+F4, it goes into sleep fine and if I hit Fn+F4 a few seconds later it will wake up just fine. But, if I put it into sleep, then put the laptop in the laptop bag, open it up at work and hit Fn+F4 nothing happens. The cresent moon light is still on along with the battery light but it does not come out of sleep. 

Any ideas? Is this a hardware issue or could putting in a bag have something to do with it not coming back from sleep (maybe the heat it gives off while sleeping is too much to be in a closed environment?).

thanks

Retired Guru
Views: 15,757
Message 2 of 19

Re: T400 sometimes doesn't wake from sleep

Will your T400 wake up if you press just the Fn button?

If not, what happens when you press the silver power button?

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
gasapple
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,735
Message 3 of 19

Hello - can anyone help with this problem? Have a new T400 T9600 Vista here and it will not wake from sleep - always have to hard boot after putting laptop into sleep mode. Sleep icon illumuminated and hard drive spins up when pressing Fn (or other keys) but asbolutely nothing else happens and screen remains black. Would love to get this addressed. I've already verified a USB mouse and disabled it's ability to wake system from sleep; drivers are up-to-date and no conflicts. Also, the settings for hybrid are "off" or default.

Please help.

Thank you in advance

Sen5es
Token Ring
Views: 15,734
Message 4 of 19

I have the exact same problem. I've tried pressing Fn and F4 and the silver power button and still it doesn't work. I had to manually reboot it by holding the power silver button. Hibernate works fine though. Lenovo really needs to look into this.
Retired Guru
Views: 15,720
Message 5 of 19

I searched a bit in the forums and it appears that not being able to wake from sleep is a common problem when running Vista, for a variety of ThinkPads and other notebooks.

Here are some things you can try (links aren't to instructions but rather to original posts):

Press F1 at Thinkpad boot screen to get to BIOS setup. Then go to Security section and change the setting for Security Chip from Inactive to Active.This has worked for several people.

If you don't want to activate your security chip, an alternative might be to uninstall the Client Security Solution software. (I only speculate this might help the sleep problem.)

Install the latest BIOS.

Install the latest ACPI Power Management and Power Manager drivers from the Device Driver Matrix. Also install the latest Intel turbo memory driver or matrix storage driver. (May as well update your other drivers too.)

Install or re-install Windows update "CAPICOM-KB931906-v2102". While you're at it, install all Vista updates.

Disable legacy USB support.

Disable hybrid sleep.

Disable wake on lan.

Check event viewer for device drivers that are misbehaving on resuming from sleep.

Use hibernate instead of sleep.

There are scattered reports (example) that wake-from sleep was fixed by replacing the planar/motherboard. Others report that this did not fix the problem. I'm inclined to believe that in the vast majority of cases, the motherboard is NOT the problem. But if you've exhausted your other options you might want to explore that while your machine is still under warranty.

When waking your Thinkpad, use the Fn key (alone).

Please report success or failure. It would be most helpful to others if you include:

• Your machine type (7 digits XXXX-XXX); do not include your serial number;
  • The OS you're running (presumably Vista): 32 or 64 bit;
  • How you got wake-from-sleep to work on your machine.

Good luck, and thanks for your reports.

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
wonderbread57
Punch Card
Views: 15,492
Message 6 of 19

I thought I had this solved by just pressing 'Fn' to resume instead of Fn+F4 but just yesterday the laptop went to sleep after being idle and did not wake up when I pressed 'Fn'. What happen was after I pressed 'Fn' the battery light came on and the sleep light stayed on but nothing else happened. Pressing the power button did not do anything nor did pressing the ThinkVantage button or Fn+F4. Why the battery light would come on, I do not know. The laptop had a good battery charge level at the time of sleeping and I tried to wake it up just a few minutes after it went to sleep.

My model is 2764-CTO running Windows Vista 32bit.

Motherboard problem?

Message Edited by wonderbread57 on 06-09-2009 07:35 AM
Sen5es
Token Ring
Views: 15,480
Message 7 of 19

I have the exact same model 2764-CTO. This is what I did to fix the sleep problem.

Go to bios

Disabled security chip

Save and exit

Restart

Went back to bios

Enabled security chip

save and exit.

Been going for a month without the sleep problem. Wakes up everytime now. Give it a try! 

wonderbread57
Punch Card
Views: 15,455
Message 8 of 19

Alright, I just followed those steps and I left the Intel TXT feature Disabled.

Will see if this solves it. 

p.s. I have the latest June or July bios.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 15,370
Message 9 of 19

sometimes you need to press the blue Fn button to wake up the laptop. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
xmulzz
Punch Card
Views: 15,073
Message 10 of 19

My T400 has the same problem!!!

Wheneven I "Fn+F4" my T400, I am a little worried. Because maybe next time it cannot wake up again. And I have to press the power key to reboot the computer...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors