cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firaX
HDMI
Views: 3,638
Message 1 of 10

T400 (sound/audio) Vista x64 Conexant II 4.76.0.0 driver error "Could not load driver"

Hello,

various other people have posted this error (search function used), but noone has gotten an answer. Whenever i try to upgrade my sound driver to  4.76.0.0 / 3.54.0.51,be it manually or via system update the sound driver gets messed up. To sound icon in the taskbar gets a red X, the sound card in device manager gets a "!", and says "Windows could not load driver".

In other threads people suggested the driver is not signed so Vista64 refuses to load it, however under Driver details it says its signed by Microsoft... 

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how they got this driver to work on their 64bit machine, i'd like to enjoy the fixes and benefits of the new version.

Thanks. 

Thinkpad T400 (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
Androyed
Paper Tape
Views: 3,517
Message 2 of 10

Re: T400 (sound/audio) Vista x64 Conexant II 4.76.0.0

Hi there,

I am having the exact same problem after updating the driver to Conexant Audio Software 4.76.0.0  / 3.54.0.51.

How did it resolved for you?

Thanks,

firaX
HDMI
Views: 3,513
Message 3 of 10

Re: T400 (sound/audio) Vista x64 Conexant II 4.76.0.0

I have been unable to resolve it. I believe lenovo has to fix the driver and there is little we can do on vista 64. Maybe there is a tool to manually sign drivers, but honestly we should not have to do that :/.
Androyed
Paper Tape
Views: 3,507
Message 4 of 10

Re: T400 (sound/audio) Vista x64 Conexant II 4.76.0.0 driver error

I tried to apply the  patch and rebooted the system but it did not solve the Audio problem for me.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T400_series_ThinkPads&thread.id=7720

I am using Vista x64 , SP-1.

Any help  folks ...

Lenovo support wake up .....

Thanks, 

firaX
HDMI
Views: 3,457
Message 5 of 10

I do not think the issue is related to that. The moment i rollback the drivers my sound works - completely, including system sounds. The error in device manager is clear: "Could not load driver".

This error can occur when 64bit drivers are not signed. Or something else is wrong, i have no idea what though. I hope someone from lenovo responds to this matter, there are various unresolved topics with the same issue when using search. 

firaX
HDMI
Views: 3,236
Message 6 of 10

I would like to post my solution to the problem:

UNINSTALL the old driver first, check the box "remove drivers" and wait. Then run the setup of the 4.76 version and let it finish, it will take a while but ultimately install correctly! 

AdamNL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,157
Message 7 of 10

That doesn't work for me... I uninstalled the Conexant software from add remove programs and then installed it and still ended up with no sound. I also tried uninstalling the Conexant driver with the "remove drivers" box checked and still got no sound.

This is clearly a driver signing issue. No doubt about it. When installing the software windows complains that the driver isn't signed and when you reboot you get error "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". If you decide to press F8 before boot and select disable driver signing it magically works again.

The drivers must not be signed. There is a direct correlation between disabling driver signing and the sound card working.

I think I ran into this problem before and just downgraded to an older version of the driver. If you were to take the new CHDRT64.sys file and replace it with the older CHDRT64.sys version I'm pretty sure it should work.

Stupid driver signing... and why would they release a newer version of the driver and not "sign it.

firaX
HDMI
Views: 3,134
Message 8 of 10

It worked fine for me uninstalling the old driver completely. First i uninstalled it from device manager, removing all old drivers, then from Add/remove programs. Running the 4.76 installer, it took about 5 min (and a few weird icons in the tast bar) until the new driver was installed. My driver version clearly shows "4.76" in device manager, Vista x64. Thus, i do not think it is a driver signing issue, as i took no measures to alter the driver in any way. Have you redownloaded the driver from lenovo ? Perhaps they changed something? Just to be sure i actually downloaded it freshly before i (re)attempted the install. I also did NOT use System Update, that actually messed up quite a few programs of mine (Intel AMT For example did not properly update through SU).
AdamNL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,093
Message 9 of 10

Hmm... I decided to uninstall the driver using device manager and then reinstalled the driver using device manager by pointing it to the V64 driver folder.

It works perfectly now... I'm not sure why the installation software was causing such a problem for me.

Message Edited by AdamNL on 03-27-2009 10:25 AM
firaX
HDMI
Views: 3,086
Message 10 of 10

I might have done that, i am not sure. The essential part, i think, is uninstalling the old driver completely from device manager. The new driver install might fail to completely overwrite the old one, who knows. Anyhow, it works now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors