Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swewolf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 466
Message 1 of 5

T400 with Win7 restarts whenever and however it wants to

I have a T400 bought in Novemeber where I made a clean install with Win7 (x64). It came with Vista.

Yesterday it restarted 40 times during a four hour period which drove me bonkers. There's no logic to when it restarts... I'm using different programs doing different things, and nothing is heavy duty stuff - and it restarts.

For some weird reason somebody wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that I'm sitting just 4 feet away from a Linksys WL router. So I turned off my WL signal and all morning and afternoon I've had no restarts.  I turn on the WL on the T400, and soon after for no reason it restarts.

So it seems like if the WL signal/antenna is on then there's frequent restarts, more so when I'm at this location close to the WL Linksys router. And when I turn my WL signal off then there are no restarts.

What in the world is going on? Have anybody heard anything like this before? It does not make any sense to me.

Thankful for an answer.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 433
Message 2 of 5

Re: T400 with Win7 restarts whenever and however it wants to

move your laptop further from the radio frequency and see whether that causes the restart.

There is a possibility that the laptop lacks some sort of RF shielding around some components, where the RF from the wireless hub causes it to restart. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 422
Message 3 of 5

What lead_org said, although if separating the laptop and router "fixes" things, it isn't necessarily interference.

A friend just had a similar problem.  When he brought any N router into the room, all three machines there would reboot.  Updating the (same) wifi driver on all three machines fixed things.  My WAG is that wifi power management was involved.

It might well be interference, but it's worth taking a look at the drivers too.

Just sayin'

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

swewolf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 398
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the advice. I'm paying much more attention to the distance to different routers... to see if there's a difference.

If it is a lack of a component shielding - would that be covered by warranty?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 385
Message 5 of 5

Yes, because it will be considered a defect. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors