Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-19-2009

United States

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 5

T400s - Mute Microphone Button doesn't work / Lenovo.micmute service not started

2009-08-19, 21:44 PM

T400s - Lenovo PreLoaded Image                    T400s - My Loaded Image (base installation of Windows)

• Windows XP SP3                                              - Windows XP Pro SP3
  • Hotkey Utility 2.20.0000                                   - Hotkey Utility 2.20.0001 
  • On Screen Display 5.30.00                             - On Screen Display 5.30.01
  • Mute Microphone Button works                      - Mute Microphone Button does not work

I loaded Windows XP Pro SP3 on a T400s and the Mute Microphone button does not light up and the 'Lenovo Microphone Mute' service is not started.  Starting it prompts:

The Lenovo Microphone Mute service on Local COmputer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service.

The button works (lights up) on the preloaded image by Lenovo & the 'Lenovo Microphone Mute' (Lenovo.micmute) service is started.  So i uninstalled the On Screen Display & ThinkPad FullScreen Magnifier software, rebooted, reinstalled the same PreLoad version of the software, reboot, and now i'm experiencing the same issue as my loaded T400s.

Called Lenovo Support several times for support:

1. advised to install System Interface Driver & call them back (failed)
  2. advised to uninstall all apps > reboot > install apps again > reboot > test again (failed)
  3. advised to remove SP3 & downgrade back down to SP2 (what? Lenovo Preload uses SP3)
  4. advised to see if button works on Lenovo PreLoad image
  5. advised call is being escalated, recieved voicemail next day, called back & all supervisors are BUSY?
  6. now I'm waiting another 24 hours after having to explain myself to 4+ different people...

I'm a bit frustrated at Lenovo for providing the support that they are after you spend $1500 on a laptop and just want to know why their hotkey utility doesn't work for the Mute Microphone Button upon (re)installation.  I've tried working with the PreLoad version & the latest version (build 1) from the T400s Drivers & Support page.  Both apps are behaving in the same manor.  All the other hotkey functions work except for the Microphone Mute button.

I've tried testing this on mutliple laptops, mutliple installations of windows, and both available versions of the Hotkey Utility.  Any assistance on this would be much appreciated.

Please & Thank you

Options

1 Posts

09-09-2009

NYC

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: T400s - Mute Microphone Button doesn't work / Lenovo.micmute service not started

2009-09-09, 4:17 AM

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?  I am running Windows 7 RC and have the same issue.  This is actually my second T400s due to problems with the first, so I'm really hoping not to have to send this one back too.  I've downloaded nearly every driver that is allegedly compatible with Windows 7 Beta, but it has not had any impact on my mute button (which is neither lighting up nor functioning).  Your help would be much appreciated.

Options

2 Posts

09-16-2009

New York USA

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 3 of 5

Re: T400s - Mute Microphone Button doesn't work / Lenovo.micmute service not started

2009-09-16, 19:21 PM

There may be a sequence to which you need to install first, otherwise you may need to uninstall reboot and try again. But after two days of pulling my hair out I found out there is a 3rd requirement to the Microphone Mute button and the FN F6 for the T400s Camera/audio VOIP screen.

1. Lenovo System Interface Driver

2. Lenvoo HotKey

3. Lenovo Power Manager ACPI Driver (Version 1.53)

Options

3 Posts

08-19-2009

United States

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 4 of 5

2009-09-24, 22:53 PM

I never recieved any response from Lenovo Support on this, checked my messages & emails since and nothing.  I guess when they don't have an answer, tickets just fall threw the cracks mysteriously.

Either way, I never had a chance to attempt the sequence method mentioned, granted Lenovo stated what order I needed to install their software (which I performed to their exact instructions)

Since then, out of the 2 laptops, 1 still doesn't work and the other one works periodically.  Don't know why it works when it does but after a reboot, it fails again.

Thanks Lenovo Support for the "Stellar Customer Service"

Options

82 Posts

04-09-2008

khatulistiwa

152 Signins

1148 Page Views

• Views: 1148
  • Message 5 of 5

2009-09-25, 14:43 PM

If XP, then try power management driver + hotkey.

If Vista, then try power management driver + hotkey + interface

-->T60 XP SP3, 1.5GB RAM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms