Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
What's DOS?
0 Kudos

Re: T400s No Sound

[ Edited ]

I had this problem on W7 X64. Try this:

Press the "volume up" or "volume down" key (left side to the blue ThinkVantage key), and the sound from speaker comes back.

Pressing the "mute" key brings the problem back, and pressing it again doesn't get the sound back. But the "volume up" or "volume down" key helps.

Hope this helps.

moderator note: subject line adjusted

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! 
Pressing the Volume UP or DOWN button next to ThinkVantage button WORKED!!! 
My symptoms were:
T400 Win XP, internal speakers not working, audio jack works, driver seemed ok.
I verified hitting mute did bring problem back which was resolved again by hitting Volume UP or Down.

Thanks again TUCOW

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

Sure it helps, but what is the real problem? Why doesn't the mute button work and is there a real fix?
Highlighted
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your help. Now it works perfectly. The only difference on my laptop is that it works even after pressing and repressing the mute button. Perhaps the newest Bios version (1.20) fixed the described bug.

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi all, I have been reading this thread for a long time while trying to fix my T400s' sound and I discovered why mine wasn't working, so I wanted to share it with everybody here who's still interested in knowing.

Background:

My T400s has no sound from the speaker or audio jack, and static from the microphone. I have installed all supported operating systems: Windows 7, 32/64 bit operating systems, Windows XP, and Vista 32/64bits and tried all avaliable Conexant sound driver versions for each of them and the sound didn't come back. I also tried upgrading the bios to the latest version and since I have no warranty coverage anymore, I took out the speakers and tested them with a multimeter to make sure that it is not blown or melted.

Result:

Finally I decided to inspect even closer so I lifted away the black film near the audio jack and I discovered that the sound card is actually fried and full of what looked like "mold", sort of what a leaking battery looks like.

Here is a picture of the "mold" as I found it, you can see that the sound card corner's pins are hidden under a layer of 'mold'.

(sorry for poor quality, that's the best I could do with my cellphone camera)

fried Conexant sound card before cleaning

Here is another picture of the sound card after I tried to gently wipe off the "mold" with isopropyl, you can see the sound card corner's connection pins are all missing.

fried Conexant sound card

Interestingly, the device is shown as working in the device manager.

Sound device is working properly

So this is why my T400s has no sound from the speaker and audio jack. (and a broken microphone.) I now use an external 24bit USB audio sound card for playing/recording sound on this Thinkpad.

Hope you all found this helpful!

Lenovos and Thinkpads owned:
X20,X21,X23,X60,X60s,X61T,T60p,T400s,T410,T410,Y470p