Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolinski
What's DOS?
Views: 2,112
Message 1 of 4

T410 - Black screen, power on, no light on monitor

Hi, 

Yesterday I came home and was about to use my T410 like I sometimes do. I turned it on, the computer loaded the ThinkPad screen and then quickly showed me a "Fan Error" in the top left corner. I took the computer apart and saw that the fan wasn't moving like it should. I tried to clean it without taking it apart any further but that didn't work so I took the fan out and cleaned it. It is now spinning smoothly again.

However, after putting it back together, when I turn it on the power you can hear the laptop turn on but the screen stays black and there are no lights flashing on the monitor.

My question is, why is my monitor not turning on?

Side note:

While taking out the fan I swiped my finger on the thermal paste, I'm going to re-apply some thermal paste between the heat sink and the cpu later today (any suggestions on how I should clean the old thermal paste?)

georg
Token Ring
Views: 2,092
Message 2 of 4

Re: T410 - Black screen, power on, no light on monitor

Hallo and welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

You should remove any old thermal grease and apply new thermal grease before you turn the computer on. The Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) has instructions on how much thermal grease you should apply. To clean the cpu in my notebook before applying new thermal grease i have been using isopropyl alcohol in the past.

dolinski
What's DOS?
Views: 2,078
Message 3 of 4

Whoops, I didn't do that.... hopefully there isn't an adverse effect. Would it be ok just to wipe it or is the alchohol necessary?

georg
Token Ring
Views: 2,060
Message 4 of 4

@dolinski wrote:

Would it be ok just to wipe it or is the alchohol necessary?

I have only replaced thermal grease on a notebook that has the Intel chipset graphics. That means, that on such a notebook, one has to apply thermal grease to the northbridge/GPU as well as to the CPU. I suppose that the advantage of using alcohol instead of just wiping the old grease off with a dry paper towel is, that one needs to apply less force to the chips when using a solvent such as isopropyl alcohol. I'm not sure whether the fine soldering joints, by which the northbridge is bonded to the motherboard, are able to withstand the force, that is necessary to wipe the northbridge clean merely by using a dry paper towel. As i didn't want to try it out, i used the isopropyl alcohol. It's also easier to get the chips clean if you use the alcohol. I believe it's important to get the chips clean

• in order to prevent the possibility of a chemical reaction between old and new thermal grease, and
  • in order to avoid that old, possibly dried crumbs of thermal grease get inbetween the chips and the thermal device/fan, thus making the distance between the chips and the thermal device/fan larger than absolutely necessary.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors