cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 9,675

Question

I just did a clean install of Windows XP 32 bits on my T410 - It's a 2516 CTO with Intel 1000 wifi, the ricoh card reader and no bluetooth, wan, fingerprint reader, smart card reader,etc.   After installing all the drivers from Lenovo's website I am left with one driverless PCI device. I get a pop-up every time I log in. The device id is 3B2F, which according to pcidatabase.com is an Intel SATA AHCI 6-Port Mobile.

I installed the Rapid Storage drivers and the chipset drivers and couldn't find anything else that looked relevant in the driver list.  I've been unable to install Daemon Tools Lite, and I think it might be related. It fails when it tries to install the SCSI adapter. I believe the PCI device was there before I tried installing Daemon Tools, and it comes back if I try uninstalling it in the device manager, so I don't think it's a leftover from the failed Daemon Tools install.

Answer

This device is the "Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller" as the name should be in device manager.

This should be the correct driver from Lenovo:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-74431

When installing the Rapid Storage drivers, ensure downloaded  driver from Lenovo  actually installs.   If you download the driver from Lenovo using the link above and run the file "6mim25ww.exe" it will be uncompressed to "C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IRST", but it will NOT be installed automatically.

After uncompressing the file, you can go into device manager and doubleclick on the device then click "Update driver" and choose "Browse my computer...." then type the path "C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IRST".

Another option would be to download the newer RST from Intel and you just have to run the installation so a bit easier than the driver from Lenovo. If you have a SSD which supports trim, the driver from Intel is a better option since the driver from Lenovo does not support trim. RST 9.6 or newer supports trim. If using a rotating media HDD you don't need trim anyway.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
jxama1

For anyone getting an ! mark on device manager = base system device  unknown device on an IBM Lenovo T410 2516-ADU

The driver for this is in the IBM web page under Utility =  Ricoh Multi card reader driver  driver 6hss03ww

PCI Simple and PCI serial driver is 6ir120ww

Also an Unknown device is the TPM driver 6iza02ww

I hope this helps anyone that is rebuilding a laptop with XPSP3