Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jetpowercom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,272
Message 11 of 28

Re: T410 Shuts down unexpectedly

Our repair experience with the W510 was the same.  After an attempted BIOS upgrade (following the instructions which automate the process), the machine failed to POST.  Lenovo's repair center received the laptop on Monday, replaced the PLNR part and ran tests the same day, and returned it by Wednesday.

Pretty swift service.    FYI, a similar post also asserts that PLNR is the system board:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W510-ticking-time-bomb/td-p/291974/page/2.

Whether this replacement resolves the original issue - Autocad throwing errors related to the video driver - remains to be seen.  

EskeRahn
Punch Card
Views: 13,601
Message 12 of 28

This is NOT a hardware issue. I got an X300 where I swap 5 different SDDs/HDDs(!) and the issue occur ONLY on the ones with Win7pro 32 and 64. And NOT with any of the XPpro's.

EDIT:

I' tried the "ThinkVantage System Update 4.01"

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-73695

as suggested earlier in the thread, and selected these four items

• Windows 7 update module KB2482122 64bit    1.00
  • Thinkpad Power Manager    3.64
  • Thinkpad Hotkey Feature Integr...    3.70.0001
  • Thinkpad Power Managment Driver    1.64

(The hotkey and the driver comes by selecting the first two)

And this fixed the issue! Thanks for the hint. Smiley Very Happy

My GUESS is that the native Windows7 power management leads to an overheat, and the Lenovo one uses the cpu-fan in time.

Best Regards

Eske Rahn

IcyPurplepants
What's DOS?
Views: 13,571
Message 13 of 28

Thank you! Thank you! Thgank you! Have been having problems with my T410 switchung off with no warning, and have struggled to find a solution (I'd previously assumed it was fan over-heating, even though there's nothing in the event logs. Anyway, I stumbled upon this thread, followed your advice, updating numerous drivers (I'd downloaded them manually previously and thought I was up-to-date) and everything is working perfectly now! Sorry of the waffle, all I really wanted to say was a very big THANK YOU! :-D
EskeRahn
Punch Card
Views: 13,566
Message 14 of 28

Unfortunately it seems like the problem is not all gone  Smiley Frustrated

But it is better. Before it went down after about an hour or two on my x300, after it was on for many hours with the W7pro64bit 24/12 until I shut down, and on the W7pro32 25/12 about 15 hours and 26/12 about 18 hours until a spontaneous shutdown. But I have NEVER seen this on my XP's so I'm absolutely convinced that this is NOT a hardware issue. (I haven't had the W7pro64 running that long consecutively after applying, but I guess it is not a 32/64-bit issue)

I'm new on W7 on this machine, but did have similar issues on it with the W7beta (about a year ago), but was sure the beta-state was to blame - now I know that it most likely was not the reason.

I have never timed it, but I have a 'feeling' that the fan runs more often after the fix, but still less than it did with XP. This might be just wishful thinking though. Does anyone have similar experiences?

Best Regards

Eske Rahn

PS:

I have noticed intense harddisk activity for a short while just before the spontaneous shutdowns, so it's not just a blunt power off, but nothing gets logged, though sometimes some services are reported as stopped and started within seconds before the power cut.. So that COULD be it if a vital service is errorneously stopped. but guessing here...

EskeRahn
Punch Card
Views: 13,547
Message 15 of 28

Well it IS an overheating problem. The fan does not run enough under Windows 7!!
I found this little nice tool:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp
It can tell you the temperature, and give you warnings at a chosen temperature.

So what we really need is a bugfix for Windows 7 to turn the fan speed on/up at increased temperatures, and if not enough, then to slow the CPU down until the temperature is less than critical.

I found this hint:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6941743_fix-cpu-fan-speed-slow.html

But it is already set to "active".

ADDENDUM:

I also found this one

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html

And this should be able to control the fan by temperature according to settings in an .ini file

Guru
Views: 13,528
Message 16 of 28

Windows 7 will install an antique version of Power Management driver, so that won't work too well.

There's a setting under Power Manager that controls fan aggressiveness. You can try turning that up. TPFanControl works well if you want to get a highly customized fan profile.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
EskeRahn
Punch Card
Views: 13,518
Message 17 of 28

@ColonelONeill

Yes, TPFanControl seem to work well. Smiley Happy

The "active" setting in the power options is not aggressive enough to keep a x300 with W7pro from overheating. Smiley Sad

Optimally the fan speed should be turned up by the native system as the temperature rises, and if it still rises at maximum fan speed, the system should lower the cpu maximum speed limit to prevent overheating and system damage.

The TPFanControl is good for me, but this is a workaround. An official and fool-proof Lenovo-solution should be pushed out through windows update to have it working for the "average Joe" also. IMHO.

jviezel
What's DOS?
Views: 13,502
Message 18 of 28

I am experiencing the sudden shut down issue with my Lenovo T410. I have had the machine for over a year and have never experienced this issue. I recnetly had to re-image my hard drive and upgraded to Windows 7. All of the sudden, my machine starting shutting down with no warning. It goes from "on" to "off", no blue screen, no shutdown warning.

I installed the Thinkvantage System Update and installed all recommended and suggested updates. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem.

I can also repeat the problem by running the Lenovo Toolkit "Stress Test" diagnostic. It seems to fail at about 37% complete of the video test but I'm not enitrely sure what is causing the failure.

I have read on this blog that CPU temperature may be the cause but I'm wondering why I never had this problem with Windows XP? Only started happening when I upgraded to Windows 7.

I called Lenovo as my T410 is still under warranty and they are shipping me a new "shell". I am hoping this solves the problem but I'm not entirely sure that it is not software related.

Guru
Views: 13,498
Message 19 of 28

@EskeRahn,
Maybe your X300 has accumulated some dust?

@jviezel,
Is it a preloaded Windows 7 or a clean install?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
jviezel
What's DOS?
Views: 13,485
Message 20 of 28

New T410 "shell" arrived a short while ago and the "stress test" is now running without incident. Problem was DEFINITELY CPU temperature causing the machine to shut down immediately. There is a tool that is contained in an earlier post on this thread that helped me diagnose the problem.

On broken laptop, CPU temperature for one of the cores hit the "Tj Max" of 105C just before shutting down. This happened each time I ran the stress test. On new laptop, CPU temp is only hitting a max of 80C.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors