Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frnchung
Punch Card
Views: 1,562
Message 1 of 4

T410 Throttle on 65W AC Adapter with Battery

I have a T410 and when I take out the battery, the CPU will throttle to 931Mhz no matter the power setting. I have a 65W AC Adapter, Intel HD, i3-330m.
Does anyone else have this issue? When I use a 90W AC Adapter the issue disappear.  It's not like I have dedicated graphics....

I tried calling support to get a replacement 90W adapter, but they said they could not do that? So I am posting this issue on the official Lenovo forum so hopefully someone can do the right thing and help me out. 

I see that on the website, you can choose a 90W or a 65W. However, I was not given that option when I purchased my system.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,525
Message 2 of 4

Re: T410 Throttle on 65W AC Adapter with Battery

Hi frnchung,

Yes, when you remove part of the power delivery system, the ThinkPad throttles the CPU if necessary. Apparently a 90W AC adapter provides enough power to run your T410 at full speed without the battery.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/Should-I-run-with-my-battery-in-or-out/ta-p/...

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
frnchung
Punch Card
Views: 1,506
Message 3 of 4

Sure. That's how they made it to behave as a precation.

However, is there any offical Lenovo documentation availble to the public regarding this issue/behavior?

Does any other manufacture do this with the included adapter?

If not, they should provide a free 90W replacement.

And if and when the battery does die (no longer hold a charger), does that mean my computer is no longer usage at the specified clock speed (purchaed 2.13Ghz CPU, but only runs at 931Mhz. Difference of 1.1Ghz). That's unacceptable. I would either have to buy another battery (expensive) or a 90W adapter (not as expensive). I would be short of what I paid for.

Highlighted
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,486
Message 4 of 4

@frnchung wrote:

Sure. That's how they made it to behave as a precation.

However, is there any offical Lenovo documentation availble to the public regarding this issue/behavior?

Does any other manufacture do this with the included adapter?

If not, they should provide a free 90W replacement.

And if and when the battery does die (no longer hold a charger), does that mean my computer is no longer usage at the specified clock speed (purchaed 2.13Ghz CPU, but only runs at 931Mhz. Difference of 1.1Ghz). That's unacceptable. I would either have to buy another battery (expensive) or a 90W adapter (not as expensive). I would be short of what I paid for.

If you set the charge threshold properly on the T410 then there is little chance of you killing your battery. Yes Lenovo did make a documentation on their site that mentioned this 65 w and 90 w behaviour, but it is slightly difficult to find. 

Laptop wasn't meant to run without the battery installed, just like Mobile phone is not going to run without the battery in. Battery in a laptop acts as UPS, so just in case that you accidentally unplug the power adapter or have a minor brownout or blackout. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors