Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Punkrulz
What's DOS?
Views: 550
Message 1 of 6

T410 (Windows 10) - Battery Not Charging Above 74%

Good afternoon all,

While I have researched the heck out of this issue I have not been able to come up with anything useful. I have been having this ongoing problem with my Lenovo T410 laptop and the battery charging above 74%. Sometimes the charging light will turn amber, sometimes it will stay green with a random quick flash here and there. I'm trying to determine for a fact if the battery I have is not functioning, or if it's something else causing it. Below are the steps I've taken to troubleshoot.

• Completely discharged battery and recharged with laptop off.
  • Reseated battery, and attempted to remove dust from battery connection port.
  • Checked Windows 10 registry for settings regarding charging actions at certain percentages.
  • (This was initially upgraded to Win 10) - Fully remove Lenovo Power Manager from machine.
  • Verify using HWInfo64 that it appears the battery health is good (can provide image if requested)
  • Completely reformatted and fresh installed Windows 10

There may be a step or two I have forgotten, but if someone asks I'll let you know if I did it or not. I would love to get this fixed as the laptop serves my purposes other than having a fully charged battery. If there's a surefire way to know factually if it's the battery, then I'll go ahead and replace it.

Thanks all!!!

Lenovo Employee 1337
Lenovo Employee
Views: 528
Message 2 of 6

Re: T410 (Windows 10) - Battery Not Charging Above 74%

Have you tried recalibrating the battery? Open Lenovo Power Manager -> switch to advanced -> Battery -> Battery Maintenance -> Perform Reset. It will take a lot of time to complete, don't remove AC power while this is running. Let it run while you are sleeping or something similar so that you won't have to interrupt the process.
Punkrulz
What's DOS?
Views: 525
Message 3 of 6

Hey 1337 (love the name btw), 

So one of the first issues is when I tried doing this (when I had windows 7), the power manager would never finish the recalibration. If I recall, it attempts to charge the battery to 100% first? In any case, since the battery doesn't move passed 74%, it can never continue passed that point. 

I also attempted to find a power manager that would run with Windows 10 the other day, but I wasnt able to find anything. 

Lenovo Employee 1337
Lenovo Employee
Views: 516
Message 4 of 6

There's just the driver but not the whole tool: support.lenovo.com/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t460/downloads/ds032258 . Maybe your battery is out of the thresholds to complete the cycle.

RunningSound
Fanfold Paper
Views: 497
Message 5 of 6

This sounds like a classic case of the battery is dying.  A T410 could easily be at that age unless you have already purchased a new battery.

Punkrulz
What's DOS?
Views: 491
Message 6 of 6

Hey Running, 

Sorry I forgot to include it before. This battery was purchased May of last year and the health still reports as good! 

Top Kudoed Authors