Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmacvicar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,176
Message 1 of 4

T410 camera blurry image

Hi!

I am running a T410 with Linux. The camera is detected but the image is out of focus. I thought it may be a Linux driver problem, so I installed Windows 7 in VirtualBox, using USB-pass-through to use the Windows driver for the camera. I was surprised that the image was exactly the same: out of focus.

Note: I have tried various light conditions, distances, etc. The images below are a comparison at the same distance/light of the internal camera, with an external one:

Image with internal camera:

Link to picture

Using an external USB camera:

Link to picture

Anyone has seen this problem?

I know there is an utility called ThinkVantage Communication Utility. Which I can't run on Linux or virtualized. However, as far as I know it has basic image controls (which also work on Linux), but nothing related to focus (and the focus is also afaik fixed).

I am thinking this is faulty hardware. I am trying to avoid wiping my system just to restore the factory image just to watch the same blurry image, specially after the hundred of issues I have found with the camera on the web. Smiley Sad

Duncan

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,096
Message 2 of 4

Re: T410 camera blurry image

@dmacvicar wrote:

The camera is detected but the image is out of focus

The most common cuase of this sort of problem is failing to remove the clear plastic cover strip that protects the camera lens during shipment from the factory.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
dmacvicar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,040
Message 3 of 4

Man, you made me almost scratch the case with a knife looking for a plastic strip. There is none. :-)

Accidentally, while trying to move the "strip" I could not see, I noticed the image quality got fixed (on Linux), but it lasted only while I had my fingers there. Gotcha. If I press the area near the lens against the screen, it gets fixed.

Without pressing image

Pressing the plastic image

So the problem is hardware. Shame on Lenovo, I was expecting a more robust construction. At least I don't see how this could have hapenned on my old T20's. Now looking in detail, loos like the screen frame is not well attached to the rest.

I will contact a service provider :-(

dmacvicar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,627
Message 4 of 4

Brought my laptop to repair on Dec. 30. Still waiting for any update. Regreting having bought it :-(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors