Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mantic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,888
Message 1 of 4

T410 fails to shut down; overheats

Hi all,

I originally posted a message about how my T410 win 7 machine (Intel Core i7) would not wake up properly from sleep mode (did not really enter sleep mode either) The only new thing I did was the fix for the sleep/hibernation problem that was offered here which did not work and progressed within 24 hours into not waking from hibernation and not truly shutting down.  What I mean by that is that Win would shut down and it all seemed out except the fan keeps running and the first time it happened, I didn't realize and the laptop  overheated. I turned it on and within 3 or 4 minutes it was cool again.

When it runs there is no indication anything is wrong. I ran all diagnostics, etc., etc.

A member here suggested motherboard might be a problem. Is there anything else that could be going on? Should I try to reload Win or do a full recovery, reformat the drive, etc.?

I ask because the machine is a year old and I'd hate to chuck it since it still runs, seems fine when running, etc. (And I don't feel like buying a new one now either nor investing almost as much into replacing the motherboard)

Pretty desperate here...

thanks.

mantic

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,885
Message 2 of 4

Re: T410 fails to shut down; overheats

I've just been struggling with a very similar issue with the Mrs' U110.  It seems to be the AV/security software causing the problem.

I've updated the AV (the program, not just the virus definitions) and so far it's OK.  If it isn't fixed, I'll try another vendor's AV before digging into other stuff.

This kind of thing - shutdown/sleep/hibernation problems, especially when they are "heisenbugs" - can sometimes/often be caused by security software.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

mantic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,859
Message 3 of 4

OK, here's a new idea: Seeing as my problems started with that "faulty' Intel AMT stuff (see http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Thinkpad-T410-510-W510-W701-X201-models-may...

How about if I just disable Intel AMT all together? I've looked a bit into Intel ME and there are some power options in the BIOS that might be what's causing the hang or incomplete shutdown/sleep/hibernation....

What's the collective wisdom on whether Intel AMT should be disabled?

Oh, and, how do I do it safely? Smiley Happy

thanks,

mantic

mantic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,848
Message 4 of 4

Solved!

After I disabled Intel AMT in the BIOS extension MEBx, the computer sleeps, wakes, shuts down etc. without a hitch.

Good as new.

Waaay cheaper than replacing the motherboard like every tech I consulted suggested.

Yay!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors