Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradhs
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,796
Message 1 of 90

T410 keyboard doesn't keep up to my typing speed / doesn't accurately

Weird issue.  I can type faster than my T410 keyboard can handle.  I type some words super-fast because I'm so used to typing them.  I am coming from a T61 that doesn't have thsi problem.  For example, if I type ping I get: ipgn or gni or pgni or pg or pgni... Another exampei is when I try and type a ? ... Instead I get / when I go fast.

I'm not experiencing this on my externally attached keyboard though the docking station. My T61 is fine, we have a X200 that is also fine.

Any ideas?

erik_h
Punch Card
Views: 8,694
Message 2 of 90

Re: T410 keyboard doesn't keep up to my typing speed / doesn't accurately

You are simply timing your presses to a keyboard with a different feel.

To illustrate it with a metaphor:  Take the finish line of a 100m sprint, and record the relative timing and order of the finishers.

Now move the finish line by 8 feet in either direction.  The relative timing changes.   The relative order may also change.

So: Your fingers are the sprinters, your text is the timing, and the physical characteristics of your keyboard (weight, travel, detents, etc) are the finish line.

If you want to get technical about it: your fingers are hitting those keys at a certain speed and with certain pressure and at certain times.  Each factor is different for each finger.

On your T400 keyboard, the combination of your finger movements with the exact placement of the key register (the point at which the key actually sends a keypress signal) produces a DIFFERENT from the T410.  So you get different results.

If your fingers were moving at exactly the same speed/pressure/etc then a change would affect all of them equally.  But they're not.

Different keyboards feel different.  learn to type "ping" at a 120wpm speed on your T410, practice it a while, and you'll have a problem on your T400.

ggraudins
What's DOS?
Views: 8,587
Message 3 of 90

I am having the same exact issue.  I am a touch-typer and usually crank out certani key combinations really fast.  I do this on a number of computers - my old t61, my old dell laptop, my workstation, etc. and they all work just fine.  On the new t410, however, I find that yuo have to slow yourself way down to almost noe-key-at-a-time speed, otherwise the characters get registered backwards - ni instead of in, no instead of on, and so forth.  What's worse, the behavior is not consistent - you can type 'ping' a hundred times fast and most will be 'ping' but a sizable portion of them will be 'pnig's Have they just gone cheap w/ the keyboards??? This is a real issue - I don't see any special keyboard settings I could tweak or driver updates to download.  

bradhs
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,522
Message 4 of 90

I've been typing for over 20 years at very fast speeds.  There is a problem with the T410's keyboard.  I've had my T410 for a month now and I've had to slow down typing. I went back to my T61 just for giggles and I can type perfectly on it.

I cant type ping at 120wpm on a T410 keyboard, it will screw it up every time.

GSW
Punch Card
Views: 8,452
Message 5 of 90

Does the problem start at 105 wpm? 110? 115? 118?

Smiley Wink

Our T410 seems to input text beautifully at my sub-50 wpm.

Re: T410 keyboard doesn't keep up to my typing speed / doesn't accurately[ New ]

I cant type ping at 120wpm on a T410 keyboard, it will screw it up every time.

Navck
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,425
Message 6 of 90

~ 50% with 150WPM, I do fine on my Model M but I believe the firmer keys on the T410 (Compared to my T43) might be messing with me. I've been getting used to this

bradhs
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,364
Message 7 of 90

What I'm learning to do on the T410 keyboard is to lift my fingers up slightly more to slow my typeing down.  I don't do this on my other keyboards, just this one. I also use my wife's X200 and my docking station keyboard.

jrhees
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,233
Message 8 of 90

I have the same issue with my T510. I have looked at this extensively. The issue appears to be with a slower BIOS scanning of the keyboard. (I am not sure if the keyboard on this laptop uses its own controller and bios or whether the keyboard controller is integrated on to the planar board).

You can do this test to prove the issue:

1. Pick a *single* key on the keyboard, say the 'a' key. Try striking the key *very* quickly. When I say quickly what I mean is to hit the key firmly but to get you finger back OFF the key as quickly as possible. If you do this, you will find that the keypress does not register at all.

2. Now, if you try the same trick on an older T-series (I have a T42) this will not happen. In fact, no matter how quickly you hit the key it will *always* register.

Based on this, I would initially say that the debounce time in the keyboard controller is set too long, but because other (as well as myself) are *also* seeing the issue with keys showing up out of order, then the issue is more likely the speed at which the keyboard controller is *scanning* the keys. A slow keyscan will cause both missed keys and keys to appear out of order (your typing is racing against the order in swhich the keys are scanned).

I will be contacting Lenovo support today about this but doubt I am going to make any headway. Luckily at the moment I am mostly using an external keyboard with my new laptop so I can live with this. That also helps with my sanity since they moved the 'INS' key and that is driving me nuts Smiley Happy

Jon

cassio
Token Ring
Views: 8,171
Message 9 of 90

@jrhees wrote:

1. Pick a *single* key on the keyboard, say the 'a' key. Try striking the key *very* quickly. When I say quickly what I mean is to hit the key firmly but to get you finger back OFF the key as quickly as possible. If you do this, you will find that the keypress does not register at all.

Jon

for what its worth, i don't have this problem with the t400s. i tried this test, striking the key as quickly as i can manage, and it recognised every key. now, i know i'm using a different laptop, but according the hardware maintenance manuals, t400s, t410, t510 (and t410s, w510 for that matter) all use the same keyboard. so if you're having that problem, it might not have anything to do with the keyboard itself.

----------------------------
T400s - 2815RW1 + Win7 Ultimate Smiley Very Happy
Don't pm me for help! That's what the forum is for. Also, Google's nicer than me. Ask him.
GSW
Punch Card
Views: 8,153
Message 10 of 90

I absolutely cannot reproduce your results following your method on a T410 in spite of numerous attempts and striking different keys.

As another test for keyboard lag, I tried holding down a single key for several seconds. When I lift my finger, the key stops displaying immediately without any lag whatsoever.

jrhees wrote:

Jon

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors