Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dondrito
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,431
Message 1 of 19

T410 : keyboard problem after juice spill

Hi,

I have recently spilled some fruit juice (sweet and sticky) on my t410's keyboard. Here are the problems caused and the different steps I took to try and solve them :

1. Switched off the laptop, waited a day. Switched it back on. The laptop worked normally except for various keys, mostly in the first row of letters (qwertz...) that didn't work (didn't react when pressed), and others who were sticky and got stuck when pressed.

2. Took out the keyboard and soaked it in alcohol (normal alcohol as I couldn't find isopropil alcohol) to wash out the juice deposits. Wiped with towels, then let it dry half a day. Put it back in. It was worse than before, the power button seemed to be shorted or sth. The laptop could not be tuned on with the power button. It could be turned on using the fingerprint reader though. But then it had a strage behaviour, kept turning on and off on its own.

3. Took out the keybord again, removed all the keys, including the power/mute/volume... Sprayed it repeatedly with contact cleaner (Vistony brand, made in Peru) . Then let it dry.This didn't improve much.

4. Waited over the week end, tried again. Now the power button works. When I turn on the laptop, before it can boot, it beeps repeatedly and shows an error essage : "error 210 stuck key : 10". Using an external USB keyboard, I can press escape, and boot to Windows. But the laptop's keyboard is unreactive and there is a continuous beep (frequency of about 2 beeps per second, continuous). In the Lenovo diagnostix test for the keyboard, none of the keys work.

Is there anything I can do to try and recover the keyboard ? Or just buy a replacement ? If I could at least get rid of the beep, I could use the laptop at home with the external keyboard, until a solution if found to fix the laptop's keyboard.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,408
Message 2 of 19

Re: T410 : keyboard problem after juice spill

dondrito, welcome to the forum,

I admire your determination to save your keyboard, but honestly feel it's time to part yourself from it and accept it has sadly departed and find a replacement.

An option would be to attach the system to a port replicator or mini-dock, which have power on switches, detach the internal keyboard from the mainboard and start the system from the port rep. or mini dock after attaching an external keyboard to either or your notebook. Not a good solution if you need to travel.

p.s. a port rep. or mini-dock will cost more than a keyboard.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

dondrito
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,402
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for your reply Andy !

Well, I just started my t400 and the error didn't appear at startup. The beep still is there though, but once in windows, it comes through the windows sound system so I can mute it by muting the system sound channel in win's mixer.

So I can work on the PC using an external keyboard.

I'll check if I can get a replacement keyboard for the t400 here (Bolivia). Any idea of more or less how much it should cost ?

Cheers,

Pierre

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,400
Message 4 of 19

Glad to hear you've got things sort of working Smiley Very Happy

As far as prices in Bolivia are concerned - sorry no idea - maybe someone else does???  Maybe you could call Lenovo support and ask them?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Kicker774
Token Ring
Views: 3,390
Message 5 of 19

Your best bet would be to look on eBay and find someone who will ship internationally.

Also is it a T400 or T410?

If your system is a t400 keep in mind that a keyboard from a t61 will work as well.

dondrito
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,342
Message 6 of 19

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Sorry about the confusion, my Thinkpad is really a T410.

I waited a bit to see if the problem improved, tried to dry the keyboard in the sun even... Now some keys are working, but most don't. And when I press the 'e' key, it acts as the 'esc' key, and jams... So I'll guess I'll have to purchase a new keyboard.

A local vendor offered me 160$ for a US keyboard. I'd rather have a Swiss keyboard (purchased the T410 in Switzerland), but it would do. Do you think it is an acceptable offer compared to ebay+shipping ?

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Pierre

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,337
Message 7 of 19

Another alternative is to look up the Swiss keyboard part number in the Hardware Maintenance Manual, then order the spare part direct from Lenovo/IBM (check France and Germany which have online parts stores).

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,335
Message 8 of 19

@dondrito wrote:

A local vendor offered me 160$ for a US keyboard.

For clarity, hopefully that's not US$ as that would be daylight robbery for a keyboard Smiley Surprised

Have you contacted Lenovo support and asked them if they can supply you with a Swiss keyboard?

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Kicker774
Token Ring
Views: 3,331
Message 9 of 19

Here are the FRUs for the Swiss keyboard:

45N2098

45N2168

45N2238

And yes $160 seems steep.

They are around $75 here in the states. Granted your going to pay a lot for shipping but that amount should still be well under $160

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,329
Message 10 of 19

I've just looked and a Swiss keyboard costs just under €50 here in Germany, a little different to $160

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors