Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhaddock
Paper Tape
Views: 12,557
Message 1 of 10

T410 laptop screen flickers when external monitor connected

I have a T410 running Windows 7 SP1, with an NVIDIA NVS 3100M display adapter. When I have my laptop connected to an external monitor (using both monitors) the laptop screen flickers. I have observed it when connected to two different monitors, one plugged directly into the VGA port on the laptop, the other being the monitor connected to my docking station when I have the laptop docked. It seems to only happen when I move the mouse, if I just let it sit it doesn't seem to happen. The external monitors do not flicker, only the laptop screen. The laptop screen does not flicker at all when the laptop is not connected to an external monitor. Any ideas?

topcon111
Paper Tape
Views: 12,555
Message 2 of 10

Re: T410 laptop screen flickers when external monitor connected

I have almost the same problem but I do have two external screens and my laptope is connected to the docking station...and one screen blinks / flickers on and of..sometimes it is every 10 sec and somtimes less

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 12,543
Message 3 of 10

turn any power saving feature for the screen in your Thinkvantage Power Manager, and make sure it stays at 60 hz for refresh rate.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
dhaddock
Paper Tape
Views: 12,525
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the response - I should have pointed out I had already checked the power saving and refresh rates that were suggested in the knowledge base. The model number of my T410 is 2516-CTO. Thank you.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 12,517
Message 5 of 10

does your machine have nvidia optimus? if you do, what happens if you switch to the intel graphics?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
jschulz
What's DOS?
Views: 12,427
Message 6 of 10

Ditto.  Same problem.  Started within the past four weeks.  Never noticed anything similar before that.  Power save options all off.  Set to maximum performance.  Refresh rate set to 60.

Lenovo T410

2516 CTO

Nvidia NVS 3100M

Windows 7 Pro SP1 Build 7601

Thanks for any ideas!

britoki
Paper Tape
Views: 12,415
Message 7 of 10

If anyone can figure out this issue, I'd love to hear the answer as well.  It worked fine when I first got the laptop, but it has the problem now and it's not clear how to fix it.  Tried a variety of differnet NVIDIA drivers.

T410 

Win 7 64bit

NVIDA 3100M

britoki
Paper Tape
Views: 12,328
Message 8 of 10

Upon further analysis, I'm starting to conclude that this must be a driver issue. Whenever I boot into Linux using the same hardware, I don't have any of the blinking issues.

In my latest experiment, I tried uninstalling al NVIDIA software and let Windows 7 autodetect the driver.  It loaded driver version 8.17.12.6721, and the problem continues to exist.  I may need to try going back to an even older version to see if that will clear up the issue.

britoki
Paper Tape
Views: 12,251
Message 9 of 10

Solution found - Driver 8.17.12.6824 fixes the latop screen flickering problem

I was reading a different thread about other issues that people have with the 6721 driver.  There was a new driver released to fix that problem, and it turns out that this new driver also fixes the laptop screen flicker issue.  The release notes do not mention that it fixes this laptop screen flickering issue, but I have been using this driver and have not had any more issues.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T410-Nvidia-NVS-m3100-Color-looks-like-its-...

dhaddock
Paper Tape
Views: 12,241
Message 10 of 10

Re: Solution found - Driver 8.17.12.6824 fixes the latop screen flickering problem

YES! That fixed it. I called Lenovo last week to see if they could help, they said it was the connectors and that I needed to ship my laptop in to them for testing. I'm glad I declined. Thanks a lot for pointing to the new driver.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors