Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zxmon21
Paper Tape
Views: 1,888
Message 1 of 8

T410 mobile broadband

Hi!

I have previously successfully used my built in 3G modem in my T410, model 2537W6C with Win7 64bit. It's unclear why it has stopped working. I have not touched the SIM card. I don't recall messing with any drivers, broadband-related software, etc.

I have installed drivers "Qualcomm Gobi 2000 HS-USB Modem 9205", version 2.0.7.4 (2011-05-09).

The Lenovo "Wireless Radio" app (<Fn>-<F5>) shows Wifi, bluetooth and mobile broadband adapter installed, but only the first two can be toggled on/off. The mobile broadband is stuck in "off". If I press the button to Power on Wireless WAN Radio, the mouse cursor turns into an hourglass, but the WWAN symbol does not turn green (i.e. it is not turned on).

I have Ubuntu installed on the same system as Dual boot. Mobile broadband used to work in Ubuntu, but does not appear in the available networks any longer.

Please advise what more troubleshooting I could do, and how I can get my Mobile Broadband adapter back to life.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,853
Message 2 of 8

Re: T410 mobile broadband

Hello and welcome

Any chance the wwan card is captured by Linux' stand by mode while the system boots Windows? That might mean the card can't resume from one of the power mode.

Thy to reset the BIOS/EC and laptop power circuits:
unplug the power cable and battery, press the power button and hold it for 20...30 seconds. Enter the BIOS Setup, load and save default settings, check out the settings you prefer, save them. Boot laptop.

These steps might help but not resove issue until you'll find the way how Linux interacts with modem.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

zxmon21
Paper Tape
Views: 1,819
Message 3 of 8

Hi x220forme,

I tried as you suggested to reset the BIOS/EC:

> Try to reset the BIOS/EC and laptop power circuits:
> unplug the power cable and battery, press the power button and hold it for 20...30 seconds. Enter the BIOS Setup, load

> and save default settings, check out the settings you prefer, save them. Boot laptop.

This didn't seem to make a difference.

I also just looked into the Windows Device Manager, and saw there is no modem in the list. Looks like the hardware is just "gone", even though it worked fine until a few weeks ago Smiley Sad

Does anybody have suggestions of how to revive my broadband modem?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,816
Message 4 of 8

> I also just looked into the Windows Device Manager, and saw there is no modem in the list. Looks like the hardware is just "gone", even though it worked fine until a few weeks ago

Is the modem yet visible and works in Linux? If yes, no doubt it's being locked by Linux. Unplug the charger and laptop battery, disassemble the laptop to removethe modem for several minuts. Then install it and boot Windows firstly.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

zxmon21
Paper Tape
Views: 1,804
Message 5 of 8

Hi x220forme,

and thanks for helping to troubleshoot this. I have now resolved it. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I'll write what I did, in case someone else encounters a similar situation.

- Observed during the last few days: <Fn>-<F5> is reacting sluggishly or not at all. Only Wifi and bluetooth devices show.

- Booted into Linux. The Broadband modem is not visible Smiley Sad Shut down computer.

- Opened the back of the computer, and removed the Gobi 2000 modem. Boot to Windows, shut down.

- Reinstalled the Gobi 2000 modem. Boot to Windows.

- Entered T410 BIOS. Security->IO->disable WWAN modem. Save settings, reboot.

- Entered T410 BIOS. Security->IO->enable WWAN modem. Reboot to Windows

- Observed: <Fn>-<F5> was not starting as expected, but just got stuck.

- Uninstalled Lenovo Access Connections. Reboot as suggested by uninstall process

- After reboot, <Fn>-<F5> worked very "snappy", immediately responded and my three devices (Wifi, bluetooth, WWAN) are showing Smiley Happy Switching the WWAN to Power On immediately gives a green light!

- Disable Wifi, connect to telecom provider via WWAN -> connect!

I hope this helps others. Sorry if I didn't due proper step-by-step troubleshooting.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,800
Message 6 of 8

Glad to see success.

Just to comment these behaviors you mentioned:
<Fn>-<F5> is reacting sluggishly or not at all
<Fn>-<F5> was not starting as expected, but just got stuck.

I had the same issue with AC and Fn+F5. The causes were one of the AC' log (big!) file (AccConnAdvanced.html) AND antivirus application which parsed that entire (!) file very often after its every changing. Do you have antivirus application installed?

I think the wwan card removing for its reset resolved initial issue. AC behavior is another case.

zxmon21
Paper Tape
Views: 1,648
Message 7 of 8

Correction to the accepted answer:

Today I booted into Linux, and back into Windows.

The problem occurred again, and the steps of dismounting/mounting the Gobi module, or uninstalling/installing Access Connections didn't make a difference.

What did make a difference:

There seems to have been a problem with my installation of the Gobi module drivers in Ubuntu (16.10).

I followed the instructions in https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593581, rebooted into Ubuntu. After the reboot I could connect (in Ubuntu) with the Gobi WWAN.  After rebooting into Windows, the WWAN works there again.

Phew...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,640
Message 8 of 8

Glad to see new success.

Now have a look at my post #4 above: Smiley Wink
> Is the modem yet visible and works in Linux? If yes, no doubt it's being locked by Linux.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors