cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeannieBale
Fanfold Paper
Views: 153
Message 1 of 3

T410 power issue - suggestions needed please!

Hello - I'll try to be succinct and cover everything I have tried.

I have a T410 i7 with Win 7 installed along with all the drivers.  It has been working fine but I seem to be experiencing a power issue.  This first manifested itself as the screen going blank and refusing to come back on.  Thinking it was overheating my partner opened it up and cleaned out the fan (my partner fixes Lenovos as a field engineer) and applied thermal paste to the processor.  All seemed well.

I was working on it, plugged in, when suddenly it shut down.  I tried to restart it but without success so I left it plugged in (with the orange light flashing) and went off to have supper.  When I came back, the orange light was still flashing so I decided to leave it to charge overnight.

Next morning - orange light still flashing and although it would power up there were odd things going on when I looked in Power Manager.  It showed the battery as being good for 35 hours (although I knew that if I took the AC adapter out it would close down).  So I tried a different known good battery - same thing.  Then a different PSU - same thing.  On the desktop, it shows as charging for half a dozen animations then goes static - Power Manager says it's charging but doesn't display the 'time left to fully charge' and isn't actually charging at all.

So - here are the things I've changed and tested at each step:

1)  The battery

2)  The PSU (trying both 90w and 135w - power manager recognises them for what they are but no charging actually happens)

3) Hard drive (with a fresh install of Win 7)

4) Motherboard

5) Processor

6) Palmrest

7) Memory (including using just one in each slot)

8) Keyboard

Because 2 motherboards (one with nvidia graphics and one Intel) both exhibit the same behaviour, I am now at a complete loss and the only thing left to change that I can think of is the screen, so I might do that while I wait for a response.  If I appear to have overlooked anything obvious then please let me know - I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out by a process of troubleshooting but I'm beat this time!

BeannieBale
Fanfold Paper
Views: 117
Message 2 of 3

Re: T410 power issue - suggestions needed please!

Have now changed the screen as well - no change, as I suspected.  Would welcome any suggestions!

BeannieBale
Fanfold Paper
Views: 107
Message 3 of 3

Re: T410 power issue - suggestions needed please!

Sorted (we think - fingers crossed)

We did a clean build on another T410 without installing a battery, and everything was fine.  I took a battery from a known good working W510 and used that, and all, so far, is well.  Working backwards, we've concluded that the original battery shorted something somewhere, so replacing the battery would not have made any difference.  We've stuffed up two motherboards in a long and involved session but at least it's sorted!

Even though no-one replied, it did help to write it all down, and saved me from duplicating troubleshooting steps.  Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors