Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zz7
Serial Port
Views: 4,492
Message 1 of 27

T410 - sound cuts out during playback, resumes after pressing volup or voldown

hello, I am using T410 with Win& x64, more more than 2yrs. Last week the sound playback issue occured. This happens with video and audio playback of any file type. After 2-3 mins of normal playback sound cuts out, but resumes right after I press vol up or down. Then after 2-3 mins it cuts out again and so on. I dont believe its a software -related error, since sound does not play even with Knoppix Live CD. Latest drivers and BIOS updates are properly installed. windows sound test finishes succesfully. I have read similar posts but all were related to software configuration. I have also replaced the speakers without change. Is there a known fix, or even a fix at all? Thanks
zz7
Serial Port
Views: 4,388
Message 2 of 27

Re: T410 - sound cuts out during playback, resumes after pressing volup or voldown

noone has heard of this before? downgrading sound driver didnt help...
Guru
Views: 4,371
Message 3 of 27

Re: T410 - sound cuts out during playback, resumes after pressing volup or voldown

Failing in a Linux live environment isn't a great sign. Does it happen on battery power too?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
zz7
Serial Port
Views: 4,358
Message 4 of 27

yes. Usually I dont have the battery attached. However the problem exists when operating in battery mode.as well.

Sound plays fine with headphones.

I have downgraded other system drivers as well, like chipset, Wireless but without change. It is very strange that playback 'wakes up' after volup or down.

kc67207
Paper Tape
Views: 4,306
Message 5 of 27

I have the exact same problem and have searched for an answer for several months.   Found dozens of post on this problem, so it appears to have been around for several years, but no solution.  Have disabled, uninstalled and updated drivers, bios, hotkeys, audio and display and even did a clean reinstall of windows 7 but problem continues. Looking into alternatives such as an express card.

zz7
Serial Port
Views: 4,283
Message 6 of 27

I noticed the sound resumes also after i press the mic mute button at the keyboard. Does this applies to you as well? i seems to be a software issue after all...I havent found a solution. There are a lot of forum posts by users complaing about the same thing. I need a better advice than "re-install windows" oculd it be a faulty Conexant driver that conflicts with MIc? Or a mis-configuration of a relevant Task?
kc67207
Paper Tape
Views: 4,214
Message 7 of 27

I took it into a tech and all he could tell me is that another program may be interfering with audio. Also downloaded a lantecy checker that said the same thing. I have about 100 programs from email, word processing to antivirus so to try to figure out which one would take me days.  I strongly suspect the Conexant driver but without it I get no sound.  Anyways have spend way too much time trying to resolve this problem and so bought a clip-on speaker for my laptop.  Even if this is a business laptop, and not geared towards media, it still needs to have good, consistant sound and at the cost of these laptops that is not too much to ask for.  Very dissappointed in Lenovo and will keep the lack of good support in mind when I buy my next laptop.

TheBigKahunaNC
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,211
Message 8 of 27

I've had repeated issues with no sound on my T410 but have figured out it is directly related to the mute button on the keyboard. Right above F1. I can press the button several times and it will eventually come back on.

Very disappointed in my T410 so far though. Definitely the biggest piece of junk laptop I have ever owned. It's been one problem after another.
zz7
Serial Port
Views: 4,200
Message 9 of 27

Do you guys notice the same behavior regardless the sound source? I mean is it the same for divx or youtube playback via any browser (flash v15) or listening to radio station via internet streaming? Can you resume via the volup or voldown keys?

This is very frustrating as it also interfere with sound playback over Skype that is necessary for business calls.

As I see it, pressing the mic mute button or any other button to resume is not a solution. Despite that the sound keeps on cutting out after 2-3 minutes. Lenovo should acknowledge this and come up with a solution

kc67207
Paper Tape
Views: 4,188
Message 10 of 27

Yes, videos, music, online, off-line and even window sounds, all audio turns off.  Sometimes messing with the volume slider or mute button will bring it back on but eventually neither of these work and I have no audio period until I restart the computer and then the cycle starts over.  For my business I create informational short videos or audios and use internet calling.  I also attend trainings and meetings online.  Sound cuts out first every few minutes and gradually increasing until it will not come back on at all.  I purchased a small bluetooth speaker and use that but it is a pain to move, along with the laptop, when I am moving from one room or location to another.  Thought it would be a temporary solution until I could get the internal speakers working but since that is unlikely to happen purchased clipon speakers to make it easier to transport.  This is not some off brand, $350 computer but supposedly a quality business computer, which is what I paid for but did not receive.  As I said, I have searched the internet and found hundreds of post regarding this problem on both 410s and 510s.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors