cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zz7
Serial Port
Views: 2,226
Message 11 of 27

Re: T410 - sound cuts out during playback, resumes after pressing volup or voldown

Could it be a ‘full buffer’ issue? When I playback sound for the first time since OS boots, it lasts for about 15-20 mins. After I resume it lasts no more than 5 mins. When I resume for a third or forth time the playback lasts less than the previous one.

Apart from software drivers and Services, I’m also thinking of tweaking relevant Tasks or Reports.

zz7
Serial Port
Views: 2,181
Message 12 of 27

Re: T410 - sound cuts out during playback, resumes after pressing volup or voldown

UPDATE: after i tried everything I could think of, I re-installed Windows 7. Same thing, problem remains. Sound seems to be played normally (example the visualization is active dpeneding on the software player) but no sound is heard via speakers, until i press vol up, vol down or mic mute buttons. Ive been thinking of downgrading BIOS version... This seems to be an issue that any user will face. Is this a support forum or what? Does any one from Lenovo read these posts, or am I just wasting my time?
zz7
Serial Port
Views: 2,136
Message 13 of 27

UPDATE 2 same problem with Winodow 8.1 upd 1. I am out of ideas....
kc67207
Paper Tape
Views: 2,117
Message 14 of 27

As I said, I have read numerous post from this site and others on this problem and never found a solution.  Spent months messing with laptop trying to solve problem and nothing worked. Never have seen a Lenovo come up with a solution.  Using clip on speaker, GoGroove, and am getting wonderful sound.  Usually only need it on 2 to hear audio where laptop speakers needed to be max to hear anything and if environment had noise would have to use headphone.  I really don't think you are going to find a solution here.  Had a T23 for years with everything working when I updated.  What a difference in quality.  

Guru
Views: 2,110
Message 15 of 27

TBH, it sounds like an extremely bizarre hardware defect.

Shot in the dark: Maybe the keyboard is falsely sending a mute key?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
zz7
Serial Port
Views: 2,089
Message 16 of 27

Thanks for the suggestion, but I dont think its a Keyboard thing. Sound mutes when no key is pressed during the playback. the 2 buttons for mute are also working fine as they lit when they' re active. Also I believe that the electronics are inside the keyboard not behind it. I 've been thinking that the sound chip needs replacement. However does anyone know if its glued to the mainboard? Is there a diagnostic tool for this chip only?
echobot
What's DOS?
Views: 1,989
Message 17 of 27

Hi All,

I've had the same problem surface with my T410 after two years of normal operation.   I'm an IT tech and I thought I'd sort out this problem quickly.   It wasn't to be.   I've also done all of the obvious things and installed and reinstalled to no avail.

What I have found is interesting though.  

I, like others, noticed that if I press the up / down volume buttons or click on the volume slider on the speaker icon, the audio is temporarily restored.   After a while, the audio disappears until you repeat the process.   The audio then returns and eventually dies again.   The audio lasts for less and less in duration each time until you can't click fast enough to keep the audio going.

Here's where it gets interesting.  

If you plug a set of headphones into the audio socket and pull them out, the delay period 'resets' and you get about 30 seconds of audio again before it'll cut out.   As you listen to more audio, it lasts less and less again until you're clicking repeatedly on the volume or pressing buttons to keep it going again.

Then I plug the headphones in - and it all resets to about 30 seconds of audio again.

This is remincsent of a capacitor charging/discharging issue.

If you keep the headphones plugged into the audio socket, the audio through them does not fail like it does on the internal speakers.

It seems to me that what's happening is this.   There is a hardware component (probably a capacitor) which couples the audio output to the headphone socket and this circuit is also sensed by other hardware to determine whether there is anything plugged into the headphone socket.

My guess is that the capacitor is an electrolytic capacitor and like in many other situations, bad batches of some of these capacitors (particlulary SMD Electrolytics) become high ESR... meaning that they eventually fail.

When they do fail, they will not be able to remain low enough impedance to keep the sensing circuit functioning, and this messes up the logic by which the audio output is redirected via software.

This is the only scenario that I can think of which would explain what I'm observing.  

I've read that people have formatted drives and re-installed Windows 7 or upgraded to Windows 8 and found the same problem remains.   This can't be a driver / hardware issue unless the same drivers are used for both OS's.   I've also read that Linux Users are also experiencing the same issues.   If that's true, then software / hardware bugs are definitely out of contention.

My guess is that it's a hardware (probably high ESR electrolytic SMD capacitor) issue and that's why we're not getting anyone with any authority confirming the fact or coming up with solutions.

If I'm correct, there's no fix other than to find and replace the faulty capacitor, or as a workaround, use external speakers.

I've also plugged in a small FM Transmitter (the ones that you plug into an iPod speaker socket and transmit the music to your car FM radio) into the T410 audio socket and listened to the output on an FM Radio.   The audio  doesn't cut out at all using that configuration either.

Guru
Views: 1,969
Message 18 of 27

If what you say is true, you can bypass the sensing logic in software (at least in Windows).

Search for SmartAudio. Somewhere in there is a multi-stream option. If you enable that, it will present the speakers and headphone output as two separate devices. You'll lose auto-switching, though.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
jonylander
What's DOS?
Views: 1,835
Message 19 of 27

Any updates on this? Same thing happen for me now on a T410.

MD4
What's DOS?
Views: 1,779
Message 20 of 27

I have the same with Windows7 as well as Ubuntu15.04 any ideas

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors