Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
think2wice
Punch Card
Views: 861
Message 1 of 8

T410 video motion blur?

Hi All,

I am looking into a T410 for home use, and I have read two separate reviews that claimed both the 1280x800 and 1440x900 LED displays have motion blur problems when playing video - like you might see on an old low-budget LCD from years ago.  Anyone watching video frequently that can counter that?

Please put my fears to rest.  Thanks!

napalm
Token Ring
Views: 835
Message 2 of 8

Re: T410 video motion blur?

Isn't 14" a little small for watching movies? Smiley Wink

I'm an avid FPS game player and I used a large variety of LCD screens during the past years. My personal opinion is that this "motion blur" ain't bothering me at all and is more something to do with "my screen is faster than yours" bragging rights.

Nap.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 825
Message 3 of 8

make sure you run the LCD at the highest refresh rate possible and don't run it in battery saver mode for watching movie. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
think2wice
Punch Card
Views: 813
Message 4 of 8

So we are not disputing the claims - and just working around them? or is the T410 just fine for video?  For reference, here are the two comments that scare me:

"Besides game performance, another disappointment lies in the LCD display. While it's backlit, viewing angles are terrible. On top of that, video playback quality was sorely lacking. We saw significant motion artifacts and blurring in fast action scenes in our test DVDs (Return of the Kingand Serenity). DVD upscaling looked soft as well, though color balance was good."  - PCWORLD

"While still images and games looked good on the T410, video playback was another story. We tested the discrete and integrated models in both screen resolutions. Playback was smooth but dark areas were filled with obvious visual noise and pixilation. The problem occurred in every video we tried, from a 720p episode of Fringe streaming on Fox.com to a DVD of Dark City to a 1080p file we downloaded from Microsoft’s WMV HD Content Showcase." - LAPTOP Magazine

Now, I have  4 year old X60s and a new X100e that do not have this problem, and play video just fine.  Should I expect the same?  For that matter, the only screen I have seen motion blur and slow response is my 1st generation PSP - and watching video on that is pretty ugly.  Is it that bad?

Views: 802
Message 5 of 8

i have seen some video on the T410 with WXGA+ LCD, it isn't that bad in terms of video quality, definitely better than the First Gen PSP that i got from Japan.

Regards,

Jin Li

napalm
Token Ring
Views: 795
Message 6 of 8

@think2wice wrote:

So we are not disputing the claims - and just working around them? or is the T410 just fine for video?  For reference, here are the two comments that scare me: [...]

There are so many claims around.... some from people obsesing with 5% difference in processor speed under certain benchmarks.... which have no consequence in real life.... that eventually you'll have to use your own judgement.

Viewing angle is important, you don't want to become obsessive/compulsive in adjusting the notebook lid angle....

My understanding of their comments is that the DVD upscaling algorithms used with the thinkpad player could be better. This is mostly a function of the video player software and not the screen. All screens (TV included) are lousy at doing the upscaling by themselves. The cure is to do the upscaling elsewhere (i.e. in an "upscaling" DVD player or in the notebook player software). Or, of course, play blu-ray disks so you don't need upscaling at all.

Nap.

Retired Guru
Views: 780
Message 7 of 8

I use VLC on my thinkpad and the video looks excellent.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 10 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Views: 776
Message 8 of 8

@sys3175 wrote:

I use VLC on my thinkpad and the video looks excellent.

you have the T500 which may produce a different result to the T410 with the different LCD. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors