cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelvinwindy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,661
Message 1 of 11

T410S intermittent high frequency noise.

hi

i just bought a T410S and used a couple days. everything is ok except that there is very annoying high frequency noise (sounds like zzzzzzz).

i did a little research and it turned out this noise is coming from CPU while it alternates frequency.

when i change Maximum cpu speed to highest or adaptive in power manager, this noise comes out, when it set to low or lowest where no changes of cpu speed (cpu runs at lowest speed), the noise is completely gone.

it's not noticeable unless im in a very quiet surroundings such as library or night at home. it drives me crazy for once.

does anyone else have this issue? 

im wondering if i need to send this one back for replacement.  if everyone has this issue, then it's a issue with specific CPU

btw I have following configuration

i5 560M 2.66G

SSD

BIOS: 1.34 (yes it's 1.34, official website only has 1.33..........im not sure why i have 1.34)

Built in video card

kelvinwindy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,640
Message 2 of 11

Re: T410S intermittent high frequency noise.

noticed another thread regarding noise, but it's for different model and cpu.
not sure this is common issue for all i5 core CPU...........
beickus
HDMI
Views: 1,587
Message 3 of 11

welcome to the lenovo family of "issues" ! If there is any way to either get your money back and buy another T410s without whining or change it to another model do it now Smiley Happy

kelvinwindy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,541
Message 4 of 11

well, that's why i asked question here, because it's  happening everyone's T410s then it means a CPU desgin flaw, and i rather not to send it back and replace another one, because that takes for years to get it back..............

if everyone elese's has no little high frequency noise when CPU runs under HIGHTEST performance, then i will have to send it back.

caseytomlin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,359
Message 5 of 11

Hi.  I bought a T510 several months ago and had the same problem with cpu noise.  I sent it to the repair depot 5 times and they replaced several parts, but not the processor.  The last time it went for repair, it was kept 6 weeks, and finally it was decided by customer service to replace the entire machine.  I opted for a T410s this time, and it seems to have the same problem.  I'm curious how your situation was resolved.

momo123
What's DOS?
Views: 1,282
Message 6 of 11

Betreff: T410S intermittent high frequency noise.

gday, i have just bought the same model.

my bios is up to date (1.41) .

i have the same noise, as soon as the machine runs on battery.

did you find a descent solution to this problem?

did you get your notebook replaced?

blindzior
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,262
Message 7 of 11

here is my solution, im waiting until new series o t410s/t420s are available and sell this god **bleep** piece of buzzing noise laptop. i won't ever again buy lenovo without looking on this board. :-)

T-One
Paper Tape
Views: 1,047
Message 8 of 11

This have nothing to do with lenovo, it's a problem from Intel and it also happens with MacBooks, Dell, HP and Sony with i5 CPUs.

Q-Ball
Token Ring
Views: 1,012
Message 9 of 11

Actually, it DOES have something to do with Lenovo because this particular issue can actually be fixed with an extra capacitor soldered on the board.

This isn't endemic to the T410s, by the way, it happens to the T510 as well (I've had 2 that have done that (the original that I bought and the replacement that was supposed to NOT HAVE the whine.)

It also doesn't just happen on the i5 series: it happens on the i7 line as well (my whiny T510 has an i7-620M, as well as having being reported on the W510 series (which I believe is just a T510 mainboard with a few extras)).

If I were you, I'd send it back for a T410/T420 (I don't think the T410 has this problem, actually)- I think you might be able to evade any restocking fees because the product is defective.

The way to put a sort of stop to it (it still crops up when you do this occasionally) is to go into the BIOS and disable the CPU power management. That stops the power levels from bouncing around as much, but the downside is that you have dramatically less (reported by other users at about 30%?) battery life. That isn't a killer for a T510 with a 9-cell battery, but for someone with an already power-starved T410s it would be even more damaging.

By the way, if you download a stress-test program (that runs the CPU at 100%) the noise will be eliminated even if it was present before, though as soon as the CPU hits 0% usage it will whine again.

I really hope that Sandy Bridge has power management that's a bit more intelligent. If this problem gets to the T420 it's not going to be good.
andpgud
Punch Card
Views: 884
Message 10 of 11

Hi there. I have this problem. Have had the computer for 8 months, had everything replaced in the computer and what I am told is that there is nothing they can do.

Can I return the computer and get a different model?

Help me out guys.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors