cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 5,052

Question

I have a stable of T410s machines that came with XP Pro loaded. I need to install Exterprise XP Pro. Unfurtunately, once the Enterprise edition is installed, the SATA driver won't install and we're stuck in Compatability Mode.

I have the exact driver (from the NIB machine and website), and try the force-feed method (Update Driver/Don't Search/Have Disk/point to iaStor.inf in the IMSM folder [taken from the factory installation and web download of WinXP]). The machine blue screens during the install. Has anyone been able to load this driver?

Answer

The problem could be that install.cmd was never run.

Try to download this driver, run to extract and it should be under "C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IRST":

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-74431

(optionally you can download a newer version of this driver directly from Intel)

Then follow these steps (since you already got Windows XP running and compatibility mode set I guess you could start with step 9):

1. Power off the computer.
2. Power on the computer.
3. Press the F1 key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility when the ThinkPad logo is seen on the screen. The BIOS Setup Utility menu will be displayed. If a password prompt appears, type the correct password.
4. Select Config.
5. Select Serial ATA (SATA).
6. Select Compatibility.
7. Press the F10 key to save the new setup, and then select Yes.
8. Restart the computer.
9. Go to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IRST\PREPARE, and double-click install.cmd.
10. Power off and on the computer.
11. Press the F1 key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility when the ThinkPad logo is seen on the screen. The BIOS Setup Utility menu will be displayed. If a password prompt appears, type the correct password.
12. Select Config.
13. Select Serial ATA (SATA).
14. Select AHCI.
15. Press the F10 key to save the new setup, and then select Yes. The computer will reboot and Windows XP will start.
16. The "Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard" appears. Click No, not this time, and then click Next.
17. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.
18. Select Search for the best driver in these locations. Then select Include this location in the search:, specify the path, C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IRST, and click Next. The "Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard" appears.
19. Click Finish.
20. When the "System Settings Change" window appears, click Yes. The computer restarts.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
bogus2011

I have similar question regarding turning on AHCI mode for ideapad S12 NVIDIA ION version.

How to enable AHCI mode for already installed Windows XP in IDE compatibility mode ?