Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djjlewis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,329
Message 1 of 5

T410s Ultrabay II compatibility

Hi,

I have just received a new T410s and wondered if the Ultrabay II which I have with a 2nd HDD from my T400 will be compatible? It certainly fits inside the T410s bay OK and I have managed to get it to power up and become visible to Windows once, but I am wondering f my problem is to do with the seemingly new power management on the Ultrabay (the DVD drive was powered off by default until you hit the eject button) or if the Ultrabay II is not completely compatible in some way and I will have to replace with an Ultrabay III?

Regards,

Dan.

djjlewis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,289
Message 2 of 5

Re: T410s Ultrabay II compatibility

After playing around a bit last night, I'm pretty sure my earlier issues were related to power saving modes rather than a specific incompatibility. The default "Energy Star" power plan has an option to auto-power down the optical drive when on batteries (strangely this is only visible if it detects an optical drive is present, so when you have an external HDD in the Ultrabay instead, it is impossible to see this option and turn it off!).

With the 2nd HDD in the Ultrabay and by either disabling the option on "Energy Star" or switching to another plan, my HDD is successfully reported to Windows.

It would still be good to know if anyone does know of any specific incompatibilities with the Ultrabay II vs, the Ultrabay III on the T410s though...

Regards,

Dan.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,275
Message 3 of 5

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_SATA_HDD_Adapter_II

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_ThinkPad_Serial_Hard_Drive_Bay_Adapter_III

There is no much difference other than the expanded compatibility of the Adapter III to include the latest Thinkpad models. Also, the Adapter II was withdrawn from sales already. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
djjlewis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,268
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the clarification, but I spoke to soon on second comment above - even after repeated switching between power plans, disabling the optical drive auto power-down option in the power plan and numerous reboots, I can't get my T410s to power up the Ultrabay 2nd HDD. It works without fault everytime I put into the T400 so I pretty sure it is not the Ultrabay that is at fault here... Any thoughts?

Dan.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,262
Message 5 of 5

ultrabay II is compatible with the T400, but it is not listed as compatible with the later Thinkpads.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors