Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocknriter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,889
Message 1 of 9

T420 - Bluetooth driver won't install

Hi there. I've just purchased this Thinkpad T420 from a retailer and it has been okay so far. BUT, my bluetooth isn't working. I've gone to the Lenovo support page and downloaded the drivers but they won't install. And when I look in the device manager there is no entry for Bluetooth. To make matters curious, I was able to have bluetooth scan for devices in Windows 7 but it never found any devices. And yes, the devices were turned on so they should have been found and paired by the computer but that did not happen. The devices have been paired with my other laptop, so I know it's not them.

I vaguely remember having an issue like this with my Dell and I was able to download a different driver and that settled it. But the two drivers available for my Thinkpad do not install. Is there a way to contact Lenovo via chat or have them remotely access my computer?

Any one have any suggestions?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,888
Message 2 of 9

Re: T420 - Bluetooth driver won't install

It sounds like you probably have a model that doesn't have a bluetooth modem.  It was an option on that model, although it can be added later.  I say "probably" because you can also look in the BIOS under security/I-O acess.  If Bluetooth is disabled there, it will look like there is no card.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
rocknriter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,865
Message 3 of 9

I will check the BIOS for that entry and get back to you. Thanks.

rocknriter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,861
Message 4 of 9

I checked the BIOS entry...it shows as ENABLED so that's not the problem.

Also of note: I opened up the memory cavitity to check if there was extra memory there and noticed that there was no wireless card there. The connectors were there but no card. Yet, I have wireless so there must be another card inside. Maybe it's like you said no bluetooth on that card.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,829
Message 5 of 9

The Bluetooth card for your system has a Lenovo FRU (Field Replaceable Unit)/part number of either 60Y3271 or 60Y3275, and are pretty easy to obtain online used for less than 10 bucks from sources, like this one on Ebay for $6.00 with free shipping, and many others.    Just make sure to get the correct FRU number or it many not be recognized by the system.

See page 81 of the manual below for the location and installation info, and page 154 for the parts listing for the Bluetooth card.

ThinkPad T420 and T420i Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf

Cheers,

rocknriter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,793
Message 6 of 9

Thanks JD.
Jtaxel
What's DOS?
Views: 7,722
Message 7 of 9

so yea, my bluebooth, works, i know it does, i had linux installed on this for a while, and the BT worked, but when i installed windows 7 x64, and downloaded the driver, yea wouldnt install.

Weired, but i have a BT usb adapter that i use, i already had for my desktop.

But still would be nice if it worked. Smiley Very Happy

rocknriter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,707
Message 8 of 9

Can you give me an idea of where I can find such a BT USB adapter?

rocknriter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,706
Message 9 of 9

Never mind. I found one at Best Buy. Thanks for the info.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors