cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cyberdave
What's DOS?
Views: 493
Message 1 of 6

T420 - Getting unauthorized network card 1802 error only when docked on starting up

I got a T420 on ebay, one in excellent condition. 

It has worked just fine until I started using a mini dock. 

The first time the laptop was running, I placed it into the dock and it worked fine. 

I put it to sleep and when I woke it up the network card wouldn't work and it seemed like the machine froze. 

I took it off the dock, it was still frozen, pressed the power button to power it off, pressed power again to start up and got the dreaded error: 

1802 - unauthorized network card is plugged in power off and remove the minipci . . . . . .  

I restarted in safe mode, was fine, restarted in regular mode, was fine. 

Placed into dock. Tried shutting down. On restart same problem. 

So now I have to start it up only when not docked then place it on the dock.

I used the hardware info tool to get all the detailed device info. The network card is: 

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN 2x2 HMC

which I believe is the default original card that came with it. 

I have read the another thread here about people getting this error with other non-whitelisted cards and the whole messed up thing with Lenovo and not allowing people to use "unauthorized" cards. But this appears to be the original card and the problem only happens when docked. 

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions?! 

Thanks for any help! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 483
Message 2 of 6

Re: T420 - Getting unauthorized network card 1802 error only when docked on starting up

Welcome to the Community

Could you provide the symbols which should be present at the end of the error 1802 string, 2 or 4 goups of 4 symbols, each?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Cyberdave
What's DOS?
Views: 469
Message 3 of 6

Re: T420 - Getting unauthorized network card 1802 error only when docked on starting up

Ok I think this is what you mean: 

8086/008A/8086/0000

The entire error message is: 

1802 - Unauthorized network card is plugged in power off and remove the miniPCI network card. (8086/008A/8086/0000).
System is halted.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 464
Message 4 of 6

Thanks.

Have a look at the thread and post below, almost all entries in the list of explanation match your case.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Lenovo-T430-Unauthorized-network-card-is...

So,
1. you have a faked wifi card
2. your laptop has a patched BIOS, badly done, so it causes 1802 error on the dock
3. as the wifi card 1030 is one of the cheapest and feature-poor, replace it for the one Lenovo branded (genuine), then reflash the BIOS to the official.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Cyberdave
What's DOS?
Views: 463
Message 5 of 6

I see. That's disappointing of course. 

But thanks for helping me to find the answer and solutions! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 458
Message 6 of 6

You're welcome.

To be honest, I assumed, was sure regarding the reason of error (a faked card and patched BIOS) before you posted the IDs.

Do not forget - new card should be approved for T420 with appropriate Lenovo FRU #.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors