Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
violetthomas
Paper Tape
Views: 3,920
Message 1 of 5

T420 Mouse and Keyboard sometimes not responding

I have a T420 (4178-83G, i additionally ordered the original hard drive to be replaced by a lenovo 128gb ssl drive), Windows 7 Professional 64, bought in May.

recently, I have had problems with touchpad and keyboard. sometimes, the touchpad does not respond after starting (already when i type in my password). sometimes, the keyboard doesn't respond at this point, either. sometimes, the keyboard does respond initially, but then stops (this may happen after entering the password and after windows has started, but i also noticed that this happens when i wait with typing in the password till the "hard drive in use"-light is not on anymore.). i have not noticed any kind of regularity, i.e. when these problems occur and when they don't. also, i cannot remember installing a particular program before this problem occured the first time.

i have installed the lasted version of ultranav and also unchecked the boxes on "smart check settings" according to this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/TouchPad-hanging-not-responsive-freeze/ta-p...

when the touchpad doesn't respond and i use an external mouse and click on mouse settings, the only mouse listed is the usb mouse, not the touchpad.

the trackpoint doesn't work either. when trying to activate touchpad and trackpoint (Fn+F8), the change of settings does not get saved.

help!

Former Employee
Views: 3,881
Message 2 of 5

Re: T420 Mouse and Keyboard sometimes not responding

hey violetthomas,

try uninstalling the ultranav and touchpad drivers for your unit. let windows install its generic drivers.

reboot your unit and try again. See if your mouse and keyboard works.

after that, go to our support page, download the ultranav and touchpad driver and reinstall.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Highlighted
violetthomas
Paper Tape
Views: 3,806
Message 3 of 5

hi,

thanks for this. first, it seemed to help, but since two days, the problem reocurred. i checked the logfile for events that happened in the same minute as the stopping of the mouse (because sometimes, the mouse works first and then at some point stops). but no particular event seems to be related to this problem. any further ideas?

Guru
Views: 3,796
Message 4 of 5

Maybe the hardware connectors are loose or the ribbon cable is damaged?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
violetthomas
Paper Tape
Views: 3,731
Message 5 of 5

i would doubt this because when the keyboard doesn't respond, the combination of fn+ f1-f12 keys actually does respond. (e.g. fn+f5 to swith on/off the wireless) that's why i think it's not really a hardware problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors