Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tarmstrong001
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,546
Message 1 of 4

T420, No factory restore option in the rescue and recovery

I purchased my T420 one year ago and have sufficiently "hosed it up" to the point I wanted to do a factory restore. I saved all my data then proceeded to create the CDs from the Q drive factory restore. I followed the instructs for more and more CDs and once I got up to #12 I noted that the time it was taking to create them was down from several minutes to several seconds. When I got to CD number 18 I thought "this is ridicules" and I popped CD 11 back in to look at its content (via Windows Explorer). I noted it had two folders: 1) Factory restore (or something like that) which was over 500 MB in size and 2) something about data. This "data" folder contained 1 KB of data. I then looked at all subsequent CDs (12-18) and they all only contained this data file. So, rather than continuing to make these (basically empty CDs) I stopped.

I then put the first CD in and rebooted the machine. The factory restore started and I swapped CDs until I got to 12. I put 12 in and it said the required data was not present and to insert the next CD. I did this until I ran out of the CDs I had created. I had to "X" out of the restore app and now when I boot I get nothing but a dimly lit screen and a flickering
hard drive light! Am I totally hosed here? How many CDs would it have required had I kept making them?

I am ( obviously) a novice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,533
Message 2 of 4

Re: T420, No factory restore option in the rescue and recovery

Hi Tom, welcome,

As you've discovered, it's a better choice to use DVDs for this.  Actually 1 CD and then 2 or 3 DVDs.  Too late for that Smiley Sad

You have a couple of choices: call support and order a set of recovery media or do a clean install from Microsoft media.

Support will probably charge for the media.  You can use Microsoft Win 7 (this is a win 7 machine ???) install media - either borrowed or downloaded - and activate with the CoA key on the sticker on your machine.  Probably in the battery compartment.  Use media that matches the install already on your laptop.  Probably Win 7 Pro.

Google "legal windows 7 download notebook review" for links to ISOs.  Burn _as an image_ to DVD.   Once it's installed install ThinkVantage Sytem Update and let it pull down the drivers and apps for your machine.

United States THINK-branded products English 1-800-426-7378 24 hours/day
7 days/week

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Tarmstrong001
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,516
Message 3 of 4

Yep, I now know better for future efforts of this type!

Thank you very much for the quick response and good solution(s). I have the path forward and this all makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again!
Tom
dost
What's DOS?
Views: 4,392
Message 4 of 4

My T420 cannot be factory recovered. Any one have the backup of Drive S (SYSTEM_DRV) content. I think the contents was changed because the size was greater than 400MB.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors