Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Entei
Paper Tape
Views: 628
Message 1 of 3

T420 ODD eject spring Part # 04W1602 Dimensions

I have a Lenovo T420(i? the front of the lid only says "T420" but the system update site scans my laptop as T420i, but anyways) serial number 4177QKU. The "Bay lock latch" plastic latch has come loose from underneath the laptop, resulting in the DVD drive randomly ejecting every so often on it's own. I have unfortunately lost the spring, whose description is "ODD eject spring" and part number/SKU is 04W1602. The full base kit on lenovo's part ordering site is $101(the base kit listed here), and I've found other vendor sites selling them for around $85. On my budget, anything above $15 - $20 is quite simply way too much for just a spring, especially since I don't need the other parts. Does anyone know the dimensions of the spring so that I might go out looking for a similar sized replacement from say a hardware store or online store? Any information on this is much appreciated, it took a LOT of digging to even find the part number for the kit containing the little compression spring. While I was researching exactly what it was I was looking for, I came across quite a few forum posts and inquiries across several websites with the same basic problem, so surely there would be some kind of solution to this out there somewhere. Thanks for your time,

Brian_Entei

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 569
Message 2 of 3

Re: T420 ODD eject spring Part # 04W1602 Dimensions

I would get a used base cover on eBay.  Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-T420-and-T420i-Base-cover-04W1628-04W1626-04W1627-/232243770413...

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Brian_Entei
Paper Tape
Views: 538
Message 3 of 3

Re: T420 ODD eject spring Part # 04W1602 Dimensions

Woah, I never considered going at it this way... Thanks so much! This way I can just take the spring out of the base I receive. So simple. Still wish that Lenovo sold each part individually somehow though. Awesome. Now I just have to hope that the one I get from ebay or elsewhere still has it's spring, haha.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors