Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPinCharlotte
What's DOS?
Views: 3,119
Message 1 of 3

T420 Wifi Card Issues

OS - Windows 10 Professional - clean install a couple of days ago.

I recently purchased a refurbished T420. When it arrived I was unable to view any of the wireless networks in my home. I looked in the device manager and I didn't see a wifi card, Fn+f5 wasn't bringing up the adapter settings, radio on/off wasn't working, etc. I took the back cover off the case and inside was a Sierra Wireless 3G card. I removed that card and uninstalled the device. I purchased an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 card. Couple of issues...

1) It doesn't fit perfectly. As I am sure you know, the Sierra Wireless is twice as long as the 6205 so, when plugged in, the 6205 doesn't stretch the length of the previous device and thusly, I can only attach one of the two antena connectors. Additionally, I am unable to secure to the board because it won't reach the screw holes - so while it is in mPCIe slot, it still tracks to a 45 degree tilt.

2) The laptop doesn't see the card. I have scanned for hardware changes both through the device manager as well as on Lenovo's site and it's not showing up at all. It is also not showing up in the BIOS. I have downloaded and installed numerous drivers in an attempt to help it be seen, but none have worked. I believe the current one I have installed is: Wireless_19.20.0_PROSet64_Win10. I manually installed it through the legacy install program in the device manager but it seems unable to update the drivers. I have checked the 6205's FRU number against the whitelist and it says that it's good, so...

3) Bluetooth is installed on the laptop and appears to be working.

What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks for your help.

Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-3QSHG37
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 4180W59
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 83ET79WW (1.49 ), 9/5/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Embedded Controller Version 1.08
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.89 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.37 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.51 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.02 GB
Page File Space 1.63 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,107
Message 2 of 3

Re: T420 Wifi Card Issues

Hello and welcome, SPinCharlotte

T420 has separate slots for wwan (Sierra Gobi 3000 I assume, in your case) and wlan cards. The 1st one is located under the laptop bottom, the 2nd one is under the keyboard.

Wlan card doesn't work and is invisible by BIOS/EC because of PCIe lanes it needs aren't routed in the wwan slot.

Take a look at the T420 Hardware Maintenance Manual on the laptop's support page for details about laptop disassemble instructions to install new wlan card.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

SPinCharlotte
What's DOS?
Views: 3,102
Message 3 of 3

Re: T420 Wifi Card Issues

Will Do! Thanks for the lightening fast reply!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors