Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giannis12345
Paper Tape
Views: 124
Message 1 of 2

T420 detects SSD but won't boot from it

Dear all,

It has been a while since I haven't used my Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (i7, 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB Crucial SSD).

The last few days I'm trying to boot it up. Most of the time it won't go further than the Boot Menu screen. In that screen I can see both my DVD drive and my SSD. If I click to boot from the SSD, the screen flashes for a second then I get the same boot menu screen again. Only way to get out of there is to hard shut the computer down, and try again.

After many attempts the machine may occasionally manage to boot on Windows. Then it is usable for 10-15 minutes max. Then it freezes, and if I restart, I get the same boot menu screen again and again.

Tried to enter the Safe Mode, but most of the time it freezes before it loads Windows.

Tried to boot from the recovery disks, but still I get a black screen of death saying that Windows failed to start.

Can you please advice?

The laptop and the SSD are both 7 years old. I'm considering buying a new SSD, but not before I know what is really happenning.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Giannis

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 103
Message 2 of 2

Re: T420 detects SSD but won't boot from it

Can you run the built-in diagnostics?  (F10 at boot)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors