Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KMF
Paper Tape
Views: 853
Message 1 of 3

T420 line cord international compatibility with 220v

I recently purchased a T420 and the line cord to the AC power adapter has two white tags; one saying 3A 125V for US and the other saying 3A 127V for Saudi Arabia.  On the end of the cord which you plug into the AC adapter it is written in raised letters  VAC7S  3A  125V-.   The AC adapter it self is rated for 110-240V.  My concern is the line cord as I figure there is a reason for noting the 125V and 127V usage.

I called Lenovo tech support who sent me to post-sales support who sent me back to tech support who sent me back to post-sales support who sent me to pre-sales support.  No one could assure me that the line cord was compatible with 220V.  One person advised me to carry an adapter, another told me to purchase a 220 to 120 power converter, another told me he thought the line cord would work but could not guarantee that it would function correctly (my thinking is it might melt down and cause a short or fire) and another person suggested I visit the Lenovo website and purchase a line cord and AC adapter for international use.

Has anyone purchased a Thinkpad T420 in the US with a North American Country pack power supply (no other choice given at the time of purchase) with the 125V tag attached and then used that equipment in a country with 220 voltage?  Any problems?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 846
Message 2 of 3

Re: T420 line cord international compatibility with 220v

@KMF wrote:

My concern is the line cord as I figure there is a reason for noting the 125V and 127V usage.

The reason for the notice is to specifically advise you that the AC cord is safety compliance rated for those voltages.  If you need to use the power adapter for the higher AC voltages that the adapter is safety compliance rated for, and you are concerned about regulatory compliance issues, or other possible OH&S risks, you need to use an AC cord which is safety compliance rated for the AC main voltages concerned.

The AC power cords used for ThinkPad power adapters are standard types and cords safety compliance rated to suit local voltages are readily available, usually at quite modest cost, from electronics (and similar) stores in most countries.

If regulatory compliance issues or other possible safety risks are not significant issues for you, then in practice the 125V cords do appear to work OK with up to 240V AC mains power....... but you need to understand that you are running them outside of their safety compliance rating and no one should ever officially recommend that you do that.

My personal solution is toI carry 240V AC rated power cords with my Thinkpads and use adapters at the power outlet end of the cord to access the local mains voltage from the outlet..... that way I can be confident that there will be no latent safety issues with possible insulation failure in any location that I may need to use my ThinkPads.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
KMF
Paper Tape
Views: 825
Message 3 of 3

Re: T420 line cord international compatibility with 220v

Thanks Bill,

Perhaps Lenovo is covering their behinds for use of their laptops overseas.  I do not understand why a major company would not supply a line cord rated to 240V since so many people use their laptops while traveling internationally.  One Lenovo tech mentioned that perhaps my laptop was not shipped with a non-lenovo approved cord.  Who knows.

After reading your reply, I checked my Dell line cord and AC adapter which appears to be a bit heavier duty than the Lenovo.  There is also no mention about the cord being rated only at 125V and I have used it in China for several years.  The Dell cord seems to fit my Lenovo AC adapter so I may just use that one.  I will check out the Lenovo stores while I am in China and if possible, will purchase a 240V rated line cord over there.

Appreciate your clarifying the matter for me.

KMF

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors