Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheGreat
Punch Card
Views: 909
Message 1 of 6

T420s Issues - hinge and discrete vs. intergrated graphics

I got my T420s recently and I found a few problems with it. I hope I can fix them myself because I don't want to go through the while thing with mailing the laptop in.

I noticed when I got the laptop that the hinge is really loose. When i shake the laptop the screen would easily fall back all the way into the 180 degree angle position. Is there a way to tighten the hinge?

I also can not figure out how to switch the graphics between integrated and discrete within Windows. I know with older T series laptops that you just right click the battery and change it but that option isn't available here. I know that you can change it in BIOS, but I prefer to be able to change it on the fly in windows.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

jmstuckman
Token Ring
Views: 895
Message 2 of 6

Re: T420s Issues

Hello TheGreat,

The hinge on my T420s does the same thing (if I shake it, it goes down to a 180-degree position). However, I never considered this to be a problem. The hinge is tight enough that it won't accidentally lower during normal use, but loose enough that it's easy to open the screen further with one hand without the laptop tipping over backward.

If you noticed any play in the hinge, that might be grounds for a repair. There is no play in my hinge (it isn't possible to move my hinge at all without overcoming the initial stiction force.)

Yangorang
Token Ring
Views: 886
Message 3 of 6

My T420s hinge is a bit looser than I'd like as well.  It isn't loose to the point that it'll fall back while just sitting there, but I find it annoying when it falls back as I set the laptop down on a table.  As of now I do not know of an easy method to tighten up the hinge; I also mentioned this as an issue when I sent my laptop in to the service depot but they stated they found nothing wrong with it.

Guru
Views: 875
Message 4 of 6

You do not need to switch between integrated & discrete. Optimus automatically runs graphic intensive programs from the discrete card, and everything else is off the integrated. If you grab nVidia's latest driver it installs a system try icon that will tell you when the discrete GPU is running.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
TheGreat
Punch Card
Views: 839
Message 5 of 6

Re: T420s Issues - hinge and discrete vs. intergrated graphics

Thanks for your responses. I'll defintely try the new nVidia driver out.

Cheers.

rajeshg
Paper Tape
Views: 775
Message 6 of 6

Re: T420s Issues - speaker vibration

I got my T420s about 2 months back. I have had fan noise issues and problems with one of the speakers - a shrill metallic vibrating noise comes from it. I put in the TPFancontrol program for the fan noise issue but couldnt resolve the speaker noise issue. So  I sent my computer in for the warranty repair 2 weeks back - now it's on hold waiting for parts that are in back order status and I dont know when I will get my computer back. Pretty frustrated with the lenovo experience so far. I had a T42 for six years which worked out really good and that's why I went for the T series again but now I am disappointed and will never buy any more Lenovo's again.

I have called in and had the backorder issue escalated but if you folks know of any ways to get this resolved sooner, please advise.

RG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors