Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PoppaJohn
Paper Tape
Views: 805
Message 1 of 6

T420s not recognizing ultrabay SSD

I purchased this PC as a refurbished unit from Amazon. When I received it, the ultra bay slot was empty but since I was going to install an HDD into it, this didn't bother me, (too much). I purchased the caddy and HDD, put them together, installed them and guess what, it didn't work. I guess not having the DVD/RW installed should have given me some indication but, oh well. I checked out the caddy and the HDD and they both work. Before I go inside the PC and ruin another one, lol, does anybody know if there is something within the system that controls the ultrabay, i.e. BIOS, Device Manager, etc.. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully have an answer.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 784
Message 2 of 6

Re: T420s not recognizing ultrabay SSD

In the BIOS, look under security/I-O Port access.  Make sure ultrabay isn't disabled.

How did you check the caddy?  If T400, they had a difference.  The T420 won't work with a T420 caddy.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
PoppaJohn
Paper Tape
Views: 764
Message 3 of 6

Checked the BIOS and it was enabled. I verified the caddy by purchasing two new ones, designed for the T420s, and both of them had the same results. Thanks for your assistance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 757
Message 4 of 6

Is the disk seen in the BIOS?  Has it been initialized?  (needed to see in windows)  If not initialized, you use disk manager.  If it cannot be seen in the BIOS or if it had already been initialized, I have no more ideas.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

PoppaJohn
Paper Tape
Views: 732
Message 5 of 6

BIOS cannot see it!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 724
Message 6 of 6

Sounds like the port (motherboard) might be broken.

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors