Options

2 Posts

05-23-2019

US

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 4

T420s remains in sleep mode when I use F4 to put in sleep mode (after fan replacement)

2019-05-23, 21:26 PM

I just had the fan replaced, and now when I use F4 to put the laptop in sleep mode and then close the lid, it remains in sleep mode when I open the lid.  Same thing occurs when I close the lid (no F4) for sleep mode and then open the lid. 

However, when I select Sleep on the Windows 7 Start Menu and close the lid, the laptop does resume when I open the lid.

NOTES:

- Before replacing the fan, I used F4 for sleep and resume, because when I close the lid I would sometimes find the fan running the next morning

- BIOS is up-to-date

- Keyboard and mouse are set to wake PC

- Power Options Settings:

- Allow hybrid sleep set to OFF and Hibernate set to NEVER (As they always have been)

- USB Settings > Disabled USB selective suspend settings  (These were enabled)

While this isn't a huge problem, I would like to have things working as before, preferably without having to go back to the Lenovo certified shop.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jeff

Options

456 Posts

08-02-2018

PH

423 Signins

2278 Page Views

• Views: 2278
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T420s remains in sleep mode when I use F4 to put in sleep mode (after fan replacement)

2019-05-25, 3:52 AM

Hi JeffAK!

Thank you for using the community forums.

Have you tried using the combination of Fn+F4 and check if it works? You can change the action of the Fn+F4 key combination by changing the settings in Power Manager. You can also refer in the Hardware Maintenance Manual for more info https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420s_t420si_hmm_en_0a60241_07.pdf (Page 51).

Let us know the result.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

05-23-2019

US

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: T420s remains in sleep mode when I use F4 to put in sleep mode (after fan replacement)

2019-05-26, 13:00 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I meant Fn+F4, that's what I was doing prior to fan replacement (it worked), and that's what now doesn't allow me to resume from sleep mode.

Options

175 Posts

09-06-2018

PH

128 Signins

731 Page Views

• Views: 731
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-05-30, 16:17 PM

Hello JeffAK!

Page 61 of the hardware maintenance manual shows a list of fn key combinations: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420s_t420si_hmm_en_0a60241_07.pdf.

Fn + F4 puts it to sleep and to put it back on normal operation you just need to press on the Fn key only without any function key. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete