cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickyEM
Punch Card
Views: 539
Message 1 of 6

T420s won't turn on using ON button but will turn on if I push and hold down arrow button

This just started happening.

My T420s won't turn on using ON button -- it blinks a bit but nothing happens -- but it will turn on if I push and hold down the down-arrow button. The only problem is I have to keep holding the down-arrow button down. As soon as I lift off the down-arrow button it crashes.

Wierd I know. Any ideas?

I mainly want to use this laptop in the expansion tray with an external monitor so I am thinking of trying to put a pad on the down arrow button that a closed top will hold down but this is a bit of a kluge...

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 536
Message 2 of 6

Re: T420s won't turn on using ON button but will turn on if I push and hold down arrow button

OK ... first I gotta know .... what made you try holding down the down-arrow key?   Smiley Very Happy

Does the T420s have the "paper clip reset" hole on the bottom?

This is the procedure for an X1:  https://is.wfu.edu/help-articles/hard-reset-for-lenovo-x1-carbon/

My T440s and T480 both have the hole....

the hole is not in the same place on all the machines of course, but you get the idea.

Or maybe you already tried this trick?

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
RickyEM
Punch Card
Views: 514
Message 3 of 6

Re: T420s won't turn on using ON button but will turn on if I push and hold down arrow button

Not finding the reset hole...

I found the down arrow on randomly, touching the computer randomly and noticing it came on somehow, and then looked closer and found that the down arrow did it.

I'm not making this up!

There are some reset proceedures for the T420s out there, pushing the on button 11 times etc. without it plugged in. I have tried that...

RickyEM
Punch Card
Views: 511
Message 4 of 6

I didn't give the information correctly.

I have to hold down the power button AND push the down arrow. Then it turns on. As soon as I let up on the down arrow it shuts off...

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 503
Message 5 of 6

Amazing that the down-arrow key somehow makes it function.

I found the "Hardware maintenance manual"  ( HMM ) for the T420s and I may have missed it, but it does not appear the T420s has the "paper clip reset" function. 

I'm out of ideas, but the HMM is available here, and might offer some tips:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/manuals/um006381

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
RickyEM
Punch Card
Views: 450
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for all the ideas. Turned out the down-arrow trick was itself flaky, and eventually stopped working. I have found a new system board on Ebay for $75 and have ordered that...

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors