Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samchristo
Paper Tape
Views: 349
Message 1 of 3

T430 Outdated ?

I have a couple of ThinkPads, a T430 and a T530, that have served us very well for several years. Both, however, seem to have lost the ability to create a homegroup. I worked on this problem for some time and finally contacted Microsoft Technical Support in hopes of solving the problem. We went thru a few procedures but finally got to a point that the tech rep offered to set me up with an older ISO file because my laptop could not run the more advanced forms of Windows 10.

Is this true ? I doubt I'm going to buy a new laptop for homegroup capabilities, but I'm wondering if this problem is a harbinger of more problems in the future.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 333
Message 2 of 3

Re: T430 Outdated ?

The CPU is 5 generations old.  Many people are using those (and older) models, but they are facing more difficulties with incompatibilities.  It is always difficult to know when to upgrade.  I have one machine of that age that I use for one particular task, where I need 32-bit windows 7, but I gave up and moved all my other work to newer hardware.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 302
Message 3 of 3

Re: T430 Outdated ?

@samchristo wrote:

Is this true ? I doubt I'm going to buy a new laptop for homegroup capabilities, but I'm wondering if this problem is a harbinger of more problems in the future.

Yes, the T430 was officially supported with initial releases of Win10 but no longer with the latest releases. Nevertheless if continues to work just fine. As 

I can't comment on Homegroups since I don't use them. However I've been using a T430s daily since I bought it new several years ago. Many people with even older systems, e.g. T420, are still using theirs. These machines are plenty powerful for normal usage, e.g. web browsing, e-mail, light Office, watching videos, etc., especially if equipped with 8+GB RAM and an SSD. 

I have no plans to retire my T430s any time soon.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors