Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sakyuz
Paper Tape
Views: 6,393
Message 1 of 14

T430 Ultrabay or HDD Caddy and mSATA

Hi,

I just ordered my T430 and waiting for delivery. I was wondering if it is possible to use built-in HDD and add a second HDD with UltraBay or HDD Caddy for storage and programs and also add a mSATA SSD for OS installation.

3 Hard Drives on a laptop is what I am looking for. I am a heavy VMware user and need to install separate VMs to separate HDDs. If this is possible, is it advisable?

Also I would be glad if you can give me some advice with the drives. I think with the 2nd HDD (UltraBay or Caddy) I am OK with 12.5 mm but I just couldn't be sure.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,385
Message 2 of 14

Re: T430 Ultrabay or HDD Caddy and mSATA

Hi
According to the PSREF
http://www.lenovo.com/psref/
T430 does not have a msata port and crucial also does not mention about this
http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Lenovo-memory/ThinkPad+T+Series/ThinkPad+T420-upgrades.html
SO, at maximum, you can use two sata storage devices at once with one in the hdd caddy. Have a look at ebay to buy one and the size of the hdd should be same as the original one
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=caddy+t430&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Hope this helps
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
SeniorGuru
Views: 6,375
Message 3 of 14

@Sakyuz wrote:

I just ordered my T430 and waiting for delivery.

While as ishaan said, the T430 may not have an mSATA bay, the T430s does. That model would let you install 3 storage devices in one system, (1) SSD in mSATA, (2) HDD/SSD in the standard drive bay and (3) HDD/SSD in an Ultrabay adapter. If this is important to you then maybe contact Lenovo to change your order to a T430s.

Notes:

1. The standard drive bay on the T430 and T430s will accommodate only drives that are 7mm thick. Many SSDs being sold today are still 9.5mm thick. Make sure you get one that's 7mm. The Ultrabay adapter can accommodate drives of either thickness.

2. The mSATA interface operates only at SATA-II speeds while the other bays can go SATA-III. The difference in performance probably isn't that great but it you can, use the standard bay to hold an SSD and boot from it.

3. Some T430 and T430s models with integrated graphics ship with a 65W AC adapter. With 3 drives you should make sure you get a 90W AC adapter instead. (Models with discrete graphics come with 90W in any case,)

> I am a heavy VMware user and need to install separate VMs to separate HDDs.

Do they have to be on physically separate drives? Could the VMs be on separate partitions on the same physical drive? If so then you don't necessarily need to have a 3-drive system.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,373
Message 4 of 14

The only T430 I've had in my hands had a small caching mSATA SSD in addition to the HDD.

The PSREF PDF lists a caching mSATA SSD as an optional accessory for the T430, and each model type also shows as WWAN upgradable in a PCIe/mSATA slot.

I can't verify this myslef with the equipment on hand, but I'd expect to be able to install an mSATA SSD in a T430 that didn't already have a WWAN card occupying that slot.

[edit] The sales site also offers an mSATA SSD as a purchase-time option for the T430.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Sakyuz
Paper Tape
Views: 6,348
Message 5 of 14

Thank you all for your replies.

> I am a heavy VMware user and need to install separate VMs to separate HDDs.

Do they have to be on physically separate drives? Could the VMs be on separate partitions on the same physical drive? If so then you don't necessarily need to have a 3-drive system.

Well, they don't have to be on seperate drives but for the best performance seperate is better. Thanks for the 90W comment. I do have the one with the discrete graphic so I think I am okay.

I just checked the PSREF and almost every model of the T430 have PCIe Mini Card WWAN / msata upgradable part.
I think I will just wait for the delivery and check the device. I will propably use the UltraBay for the 2nd HDD.

Thank you all for your answer. I will update as soon as I found out more.

ForksAndKnives
Paper Tape
Views: 6,310
Message 6 of 14

To my knowledge you can have up to 3 harddrives inside the T430.

1 - Main HDD slot
2 - mSata slot
3 - Ultra bay

In response to the original post, I was also going to install the operating system on the mSATA drive but I'm not going to now because there was a post that I read that advised against it.

I can't find the post right now but I highly recommend you do some more research before going into it. Cheers
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,289
Message 7 of 14

@ForksAndKnives wrote:
In response to the original post, I was also going to install the operating system on the mSATA drive but I'm not going to now because there was a post that I read that advised against it.

I can't find the post right now but I highly recommend you do some more research before going into it. Cheers

If you find that post, please post a link.

IIRC there was a thread/post advising to not use the caching SSD that shipped with these machines for the main OS drive.

That was to do with the specific technology of that particular SSD.  It was not stating that it was a bad idea to use an SSDs in general for an OS drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

SeniorGuru
Views: 6,283
Message 8 of 14

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

If you find that post, please post a link.

IIRC there was a thread/post advising to not use the caching SSD that shipped with these machines for the main OS drive.

Perhaps the caution was about the mSATA interface being slower SATA-II, not SATA-III like the main drive bay and the Ultrabay. While that's technically true, I doubt it would have a significant effect on performance in practice.

Sakyuz
Paper Tape
Views: 6,278
Message 9 of 14

I just chat with the local Lenovo support and they said that T430 does not support mSata. I am still not sure that it is not supported but I just don't want to risk it. I would be glad if anyone would confirm it or else I am going to grab my screwdriver Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,266
Message 10 of 14

Here's a snip from the T430 Hardware Maintenance Manual:  The image is cheating on the 50k limit, but would be hard to read if reduced.

Z.

T430mSATA.PNG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors