Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mwheeler1982
What's DOS?
Views: 6,031
Message 1 of 9

T430 - Windows 10 - Two Finger Scroll Freezes Touchpad

I have a T430 that I just upgraded to Windows 10. I've noticed that if I use 2 fingers to scroll with the touchpad, the touchpad will completley stop responding to all motions (even just moving the cursor) for several seconds. It will eventually come back.

It seems to be fairly random when it does it, and I've upgraded to the (latest available) Synaptics drivers (19.0.17.27, dated 10/25/15).

Anybody have a solution for this?

tdude51
What's DOS?
Views: 5,936
Message 2 of 9

Re: T430 - Windows 10 - Two Finger Scroll Freezes Touchpad

Any luck with this? I'm running into the same issues on my T430 with Windows 10. I've also noticed that the 2-finger scrolling is very jerky, and will occasionally bounce back up as I try to scroll down. This combined with the entire mouse freezing for a few seconds after I scroll is pretty infuriating.

tempac
Paper Tape
Views: 5,894
Message 3 of 9

@mwheeler1982 wrote:

I have a T430 that I just upgraded to Windows 10. I've noticed that if I use 2 fingers to scroll with the touchpad, the touchpad will completley stop responding to all motions (even just moving the cursor) for several seconds. It will eventually come back.

It seems to be fairly random when it does it, and I've upgraded to the (latest available) Synaptics drivers (19.0.17.27, dated 10/25/15).

I am experiencing a very similar issue when using the touchpad. It might be the same. I have not found a solution yet.

My Synaptics driver is the same version as in the quote/OP.

I believe I have upgraded to Windows 10 less than two months ago.

I usually do not notcie this issue, since I use the trackpoint and an USB mouse almost exclusively.

One thing to note when this happens, is that pointer movement is still possible with both the trackpoint and my USB mouse. I only seem to get this issue when using two-finger scrolling as well.

The touchpad seems to stop working for 3 to 5 seconds.

I have noticed this happening most often when using Google Chrome, but it is also the program I use most on Windows.

The only seemingly relevant configuration change I have made outsite the Mouse settings in the Control Panel, was a change to the registry for the middle button of the UltraNav, as per:

HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\UltraNavPS2
Change "TrackPointMode" to dword:00002214 from the previous value of 00001214

I did this change immediately after installing, so I am uncertain to how it affects the original issue.

I know there is a "Palm Check" option on the UltraNav settings, but it does not normally cause any pointer timeouts. Using the trackpoint does not normally cause any touchpad pointer timeouts either.

I have not found a way to replicate this issue as requested. It seems to be random, from my point of view.

atw58
Paper Tape
Views: 5,740
Message 4 of 9

Yes add me to the club. TouchPad mouse freezes for 3-4 sec sometimes mouse pointer is visible other times it is not. TrackPoint is fine and moving it will free the stuck pointer. Seems to be a bug with the TouchPad software.

Not only does it happen with 2 finger scroll but freezes when moving the mouse with 1 finger too.

atw58
Paper Tape
Views: 5,734
Message 5 of 9

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gtdvs/mouse_keeps_freezing_in_windows_10/

Disabling the Realtek High Def Audio seems to solve the problem.

sidyrm
Paper Tape
Views: 5,692
Message 6 of 9

The realtek solution doesn't work on my t430.

The delay also happens throughout windows. It is not tied to any particular application. I first noticed it after the windows 10 install when I went to change settings.

Thankfully, there is an option to roll back to windows 7 for a month after switching to windows 10. That appears to be the only fix at this point, although I haven't tried it myself.

sidyrm
Paper Tape
Views: 5,686
Message 7 of 9

I think I've found a fix (other than rolling back to win 7).

Find your settings panel for Mouse Properties -> UltraNav. Click on 'Settings...' for 'TouchPad'.

I disabled EdgeMotion.

PalmCheck is now set to minimum. Not sure if that's also making a difference.

I also disabled Momentum because it's broken now (I really liked it in Win 7), but that didn't fix the touchpad delay.

atw58
Paper Tape
Views: 5,679
Message 8 of 9

I spoke too soon. Realtek didn't work. Minimizing palm check was the true fix for me.

Thinklife
Paper Tape
Views: 5,652
Message 9 of 9

This finally fixed some issues I've had on my T420 since I upgraded to Ten. Thanks for the good info.
Thinkpad T420 Core i7 2640M
Thinkpad W530 Core i7 3720QM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors