Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Jones_uk
Paper Tape
Views: 212
Message 1 of 16

T430 and T450 Bios boot cd iso error

Hi all I hope some can help me with this problem.

I am trying to update the bios on a large number of T430 and T450 so I want to use the a bootable cd.

I down loaded the bootable iso image, a number of time on a number of CD but the file will not burn or mount.

This is a link I used.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

This is how I making the cd. In windows 10.

CREATING THE BIOS UPDATE CD

This section assumes to use Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.

Downloading file

1. Click once on the underlined file name. Once this is done, some pop-up

windows will appear.

1. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  2. In the window to choose Run or Save, click Save.
  3. Choose the folder you would like to download the file to and click Save.

A different window will appear and the download will begin and complete.

Once the download has completed, there may or may not be a message stating

that the download completed successfully.

Creating BIOS Update CD

1. Prepare a computer with an optical drive installed and a blank CD/DVD/BD

disc, and make sure the CD/DVD/BD writing software is installed into the

computer.

1. Locate the folder where the file was downloaded.
  2. Locate the file ending in ".ISO" that was downloaded, then double-click it.

A writing software will open.

1. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish writing and complete

creating BIOS Update CD.

It burnt he disk but at the end it is an unreadable cd.

I used mount, and ultraliso to look at the files in the iso but both say iso file is empty?

What am I doing work or are the files on the servers bad?

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 173
Message 2 of 16

Re: T430 and T450 Bios boot cd iso error

@Andrew_Jones_uk wrote:

It burnt he disk but at the end it is an unreadable cd.

I used mount, and ultraliso to look at the files in the iso but both say iso file is empty?

What am I doing work or are the files on the servers bad?

have you even tried booting a system with one of fhese CDs?

There are no files, and yes windows will complain. But this does not imply that it's not a fully functional image.

If you need to look what files are on the bootimage then you'll need to extract it from  the El Torito image first.

Andrew_Jones_uk
Paper Tape
Views: 166
Message 3 of 16

Hi yes we tried to use the CD to boot from, the laptop looks at the cd but do not boot. With or without a SSD installed.

Bios set to both and UEFI first, or any other combination nothing works.

It would be good to rip the files and I put them on a USB stick, but as windows 7 , 8 and 10 say the files has no files in it If I try and open or mount the iso

Same for pkzip, winzip , ultaliso and rusus.

So it an unreadable file.

It also not the work network blocking the files as I tried downing for a mifi network and get the same.

I think the servers files are bad.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 161
Message 4 of 16

I just clicked on your link above, I got directed to the T450 page. I downloaded the ISO and this is what 7z is showing me:

Screen.png

the above looks ok to me.

Which software are you using to create the ISO? I normally use Rufus (https://rufus.ie/)

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
Andrew_Jones_uk
Paper Tape
Views: 155
Message 5 of 16

Hi i will try 7z.

you only show and img file with the iso are the other needed boot files there?

I have tried to use windows onw burner and like you rufus. rufus as it not a valid iso file! also i tried ultaiso as well it was not a valid iso file as well.

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 149
Message 6 of 16

try  imgburn.   I've never used any of the windows built-in iso tools, but I guess they'll do the job too. 

Ok, I've just tried it on Win10,  windows explorer, select iso image,  right mouse button click, then select 'burn disk image'. 

you can extract the bootimage with geteltorito (perl script) and dd it to an empty usb flash drive.

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 143
Message 7 of 16

You're getting good advice.  Burn as an image, not as a data file.  Tasurinchi is using 7zip to show you that the file isn't empty (which has been discussed many times here on the forums...).  7zip is not used to create the bootable CD.

There is a KB explaining how to make a bootable flash drive out of the ISO if you need to go that way:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion-Knowledge-Base/Updating-the-BIOS-via-USB-X220-s-runnin...

But if you want to use optical media, just burn as already explained.

Z..

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Andrew_Jones_uk
Paper Tape
Views: 139
Message 8 of 16

Hi i am following the how to burn the iso in the read me. this tell you how to burn it as and image file.

I tried to burn as an image file a number of differing ways, all say the iso is not a image / valid file.

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 129
Message 9 of 16

that's strange.  Did you verify your  iso image with sha256sum?  The checksums should match with the one on the web page.

the iso image for the t450 (your link) should have exactly 22,392,832 bytes .

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 128
Message 10 of 16

Nero burned your linked ISO just fine for me.  Can't try Win 10 image burn since Nero has removed that option on my system.  I also can't fully test bootability since I don't have a matching machine.  I was able to boot to an error in UEFI mode.

Have you verified the checksum on the downloaded file?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors