Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyPandy66
Punch Card
Views: 5,464
Message 1 of 8

T430 and hard drive instead of optical drive

I'm on the verge of buying a T430, and I was wondering whether having an SSD as my primary hard drive (on which I would have the operating system only) and then using a 500GB hard drive in place of the optical drive.

My reasoning is I want a fast boot time, and also the storage on the SSDs aren't that big, and I do need a lot of space.

Are there any performance issues (eg slower) when using the added hard drive?  I was thinking of installing all my programs on there.  I read on a YouTube comment that having the second hard drive creates 'bottlenecking' and slows things down. 

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,468
Message 2 of 8

Re: T430 and hard drive instead of optical drive

Be sure the SSD height profile is compatible with the 430. I believe they're using a thinner drive not the 9.5mm is standard. Verify before you order a drive if thats the system you're wanting.
Momentus drives are 9.5mm from the data sheet of their website.

As for slowing down I say not. You can put the swap file etc on the 2nd drive and that would reduce write access to the SSD for temp data. You will need the storage and or target for a backup image so IMO its a must.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,455
Message 3 of 8

@AndyPandy66 wrote:

Are there any performance issues (eg slower) when using the added hard drive?  I was thinking of installing all my programs on there.  I read on a YouTube comment that having the second hard drive creates 'bottlenecking' and slows things down.  

It's difficult to imagine how adding a second, faster disk is going to slow down a system compared to a single slower disk. That seems like arguing that adding cores to a CPU chip will slow down system performance because the extra cores will cause a bottleneck of contention among them. I suppose pathological cases are possible, like a deadly embrace of some sort, but that would be highly unlikely.

What is possible is that by adding a second, faster disk you move the performance bottleneck to another subsystem. Of course that depends on what applications you run, i.e. what demands they make on system resources.

My suggestions for increasing performance:

1. Get an SSD that's large enough to hold both the OS and your main applications. Win7 occupies perhaps 32 to 64GB depending on how much RAM (and thus paging/hybernation space) you have. 128GB and even 256GB SSDs are relatively inexpensive these days so there's no need to restrict them to OS-only.

2. Install as much RAM as you can so as to minimize paging. If you have 8GB to 16GB RAM you won't need to do much, if any, paging. I have two ThinkPads with SSDs, one with 8GB RAM and the other with 16GB. I've disabled paging altogether on both systems with no problems. 

Punch Card
Views: 5,436
Message 4 of 8

I really wanna have two drives on my laptop too; SSD and HDD. But, my concern is that having two drives will decrease the battery life even more.

I know with an SSD the battery is pretty good, but not so much with the HDD.

Any thoughts?

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,434
Message 5 of 8

@jonathan1636 wrote:

my concern is that having two drives will decrease the battery life even more.

It's a tradeoff. The more stuff you put in a notebook the more power it consumes. The higher and brighter you crank stuff up the more power it consumes. You may be able to compensate for the higher power draw of two drives by turning down screen brightness or using a larger battery. But only you can determine what tradeoffs make sense for you.

Here's an out-of-the-box idea. Depending on how much extra storage you need, consider using USB drives and/or SD cards instead of the HD. These days you can get 64GB devices for as low as $40 so one or two of them may make a reasonable substitute for the HD. They'll certainly drain less power and be smaller, lighter, quieter and more reliable.

I know with an SSD the battery is pretty good, but not so much with the HDD.

Be careful. Some SSDs draw as much power as HDs, at least in some situations. Check SSD specs and reviews beforehand.

Token Ring
Views: 5,310
Message 6 of 8

In response to: "It's a tradeoff. The more stuff you put in a notebook the more power it consumes." What if you have ALL of your applications on the SSD (Windows 7 OS + MS Office + Adobe + etc.) and ONLY music/photos on the HDD? Would this eliminate the power drag from having a 2nd HDD? Would the 2nd HDD be effectively on minimal power use unless those specific files (music/photos) were accessed/modified?
SeniorGuru
Views: 5,301
Message 7 of 8

@realtanu wrote:
ONLY music/photos on the HDD? Would this eliminate the power drag from having a 2nd HDD? Would the 2nd HDD be effectively on minimal power use unless those specific files (music/photos) were accessed/modified?

It wouldn't eliminate the extra power drain but it might reduce it. That depends on how much music/photos you play/watch. You could reduce power consumption further by setting the HDD to stop rotating after it's been idle for some period, e.g. an hour. 

That said, I think this is one of those arguments where it ultimately doesn't matter much. Your CPU, graphics chip and screen draw more power than an HDD so the effect on battery life is probably mpre heavilly dependent on how hard you drive the system and how bright your screen is than on whether you have just an SSD or SSD plus HDD.

Token Ring
Views: 5,294
Message 8 of 8

@hausman wrote:

It wouldn't eliminate the extra power drain but it might reduce it. That depends on how much music/photos you play/watch. You could reduce power consumption further by setting the HDD to stop rotating after it's been idle for some period, e.g. an hour. 

That said, I think this is one of those arguments where it ultimately doesn't matter much. Your CPU, graphics chip and screen draw more power than an HDD so the effect on battery life is probably mpre heavilly dependent on how hard you drive the system and how bright your screen is than on whether you have just an SSD or SSD plus HDD.

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors