Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aikijitsu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,628
Message 1 of 7

T430 bios update 5 beeps

I ran system update to make sure drivers and software was up to date. Now it wont boot and I get 5 beeps. I tried downloading the .iso, burned it to dvd, nothing when it boots. 5 beeps. It was serving my needs very well, I can't afford another and I need it for school. It's too coincidental that it crashed directly after the update. Is there anything I can do? 

aikijitsu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,565
Message 2 of 7

Re: T430 bios update 5 beeps

This is unacceptable Lenovo. Warranty or not your system update software bricked my laptop and now you expect me to pay for support, or worse, buy more hardware from you? What was a perfectly good i5 is now going to go in the garbage. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,548
Message 3 of 7

Hello

Is the BIOS in the laptop original, not patched? Has the BIOS been updated during last system update? Did you reset the BIOS settings to default after BIOS update?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

aikijitsu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,530
Message 4 of 7

I have a blank screen. I have no idea what version it was. I ran System Update on the 14th. I'ver tried every keyboard combo to get it to boot up. FN+R FN+Win FN+B P T C V. I downloaded the latest version and burned it to a DVD, but it wont boot from it. I tried wincrisis and that doesn't work either. 

Thanks for the reply. I desperately need it for school.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,519
Message 5 of 7

BIOS recovery procedure using Phoenix crisis set and Fn+R initiation hotkey could help in case you have special BIOS image ("UEFI capsule") for that. But T430 BIOS update pakage doesn't include that one.

Unfortunately, I don't see clear ways to recover the BIOS in your case except of the system board replacement or BIOS flash reprogramming because of BIOS seems corrupted (5 beeps is a main symptom) if the source for its update was original from Lenovo site.

You might try the following ways but according to your answers above (and in another thread) and symptoms the chances are minimal:
- reset the BIOS/EC state - unplug the AC charger and battery, press the power button and hold it for 20...30 seconds. Try to boot
- try to enter the BIOS Setup "in black" a) to load default settings, try to boot b) to change the boot order and disable secure boot (of course, you have to know keyboard pressing sequence). Then try to reflash the BIOS from DVD. Most likely it'll be impossible w/out additional efforts as current version of the BIOS is the same as on the DVD one

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

aikijitsu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,520
Message 6 of 7

This is not directed at you. I appreciate your effort in trying to help, but this is bulls@#$. System update bricked my laptop. You can safely assume I will never buy anything Lenovo. This has angered me so much I will actively encourage my friends and family to do the same, skip Lenovo. 

Alejandroteken
Paper Tape
Views: 2,118
Message 7 of 7

I just got the same problem in my T420s but I just resolved by pressing Vol +, Vol - and the Think Vantage button in a ramdom way, then I just go to the bios settings and turn off the Security chip.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors