cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
killingtime
Paper Tape
Views: 1,100
Message 1 of 8

T430 rubber coating removal on LCD back cover?

Hello, The rubber coating on the lid of my T430 is down to the plastic in places. Looking quite a mess. Does anyone know of a way to remove the rubber coating or remove the whole back cover so I can replace it? I've tried alcohol - no joy. Can't seem to find any tutorials on youtube either for the back cover replacement. Thanks, Benjamin.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,077
Message 2 of 8

Re: T430 rubber coating removal on LCD back cover?

Welcome to the forum.

According to t430_t430i_fru_bom_20130410.pdf the LCD back cover assembly is FRU 04W6861. You should be able to order this from Lenovo UK. These are also availble on Amazon and eBay. You may be able to find a used back cover or complete LCD assemby on eBay from a salvaged T430.

As for replacement procedure, see the Hardware Maintenance Manual download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t430_t430i_hmm_en_0b48304_03.pdf starting on p. 115.

Paper Tape
Views: 1,067
Message 3 of 8

Thanks you for your reply hausman, I've taken a look at the manual. Seems quite involved but doable. I'll order a replacement cover and give it a go. If anyone has actually done this and has any tips that aren't covered in the manual then I'd be grateful. Bits that are stuck down with adhesive for example. I'll be replacing everything that I take off (minus the cover). If it all comes out with a screw then I should be OK. Many Thanks.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,061
Message 4 of 8

@killingtime wrote:
Seems quite involved but doable.

This is why I suggested as an alternative to look for a used LCD assembly. I didn't look at eBay UK, but in the US you can get them for lower cost than a new cover alone, e.g. 

Lenovo ThinkPad T430 LCD LED Screen Top Bezel Assembly Screen W/ Webcam

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Lenovo T430 LCD Screen Display Assembly | eBay

The LCD panels came in two resolutions, 1366x768 and 1600x900. AFAIK they're physically and electrically interchangeable. But if your T430 came with the latter either make sure the latter is the same resolution or be prepared to swap panels.

Paper Tape
Views: 1,043
Message 5 of 8

I found a video of a T430 disassembly (whole thing including the screen and lid).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2-SN9HPwh0

Looks less daunting than the manual. Only potential issue I can see is that the antennas are stuck down at the bottom.

As far as I can see it shouldn't be necessary to touch the base of the laptop to replace the lid. The wires just tuck into the hinges.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,025
Message 6 of 8

"As far as I can see it shouldn't be necessary to touch the base of the laptop to replace the lid. The wires just tuck into the hinges."  -   Be sure to disconnect ther AC and remove the main battery before starting.  Press the power button a couple of times to drain capacitors.  The backlight fuse is very fast burning and easy to blow.  You don't want to trash your motherboard.  You need to have the lid and hnges off the base, so there is some disassembly.  You need to remove the keyboard and palmrest/keyboard bezel.  There are 2 antenna wires that go to the wireless WWAN card on the underside near the memory.  They need to be pushed through so they are above the motherboard so they can be removed with the lid.  Then the other (wireless LAN) antenna wires can be unhooked so they can come out with the lid.  I suggest taking good photos of the antenna wires on the underside and on the top side before removal.  After getting the lid off, remove the LCD bezel and take more photos of the wires coming through the hinges.  Remove the LCD bezel and then the panel.  Take more pictures of the wires coming through the hinges and how they fit with the lid and antennas.  I don't have one of that model to look at, but there will be a Hall Sensor (magnetic switch) somewhere.  (The thing that senses when the lid is closed) On some models, it is halfway up the left hinge,  Pay attention to how it is sitting.  There are a lot of wires, and they fit fine when the machine was first assembled. The first time you move them around, it can be hard to get them to fit as well.  That's why you are taking the pictures.  The LCD cable connector is fragile.  Also, you mey want to replace the clear tape where it plugs in. 

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
killingtime
Paper Tape
Views: 1,015
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the heads up richk. I've got the parts on order.

killingtime
Paper Tape
Views: 982
Message 8 of 8

*success*
Truns out it's not necessary to remove the (top) keyboard bezel for lid removal. There's enough give in the hinge arms on the lid to get them out without having to loosen the hinges at the base. Once you get to the point where everything has been removed from the lid and you're ready to take the lid off, just start at the top of the hinge arms and work your way down.
It’s also not necessary to remove the cables from the base of the laptop. I just undid the bits from the lid and rested them on the base.
You'll notice from the pictures that the top bezel has been loosened on my machine. I couldn't be sure that I'd get the lid off without completely removing the hinges at the base, so I undid the top bezel just in case as the screws to do this are accessed from the bottom of the laptop. With everything resting on the keyboard (LCD, antennas, camera etc) I didn't want to chance having something slide off while undoing the bottom screws, so I undid them before dismantling the screen. Unnecessary as it turns out.
Some things I learned:
1. Taking pictures of the wiring is a must to ensure they go back in the correct place.
2. The manual and disassembly video were helpful.
3. There’s enough adhesive on the antennas for them to go back without a problem.
4. A set of jewellers screwdrivers is a must. I used a 5 set that cost a few £.
5. Make sure you label up the screws as they come off. I used small paper envelopes. Easy to lose them; they’re very small.
If you’re methodical and have good eyesight, this job is fairly easy.

Thanks for all your help.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/4958/vtDM7M.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3897/Gv4BMm.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6663/pJMPpg.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8656/0Cymfe.jpg

Top Kudoed Authors