Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,649
Message 1 of 6

T430 shuts down after exactly 30 minutes

My 5-year-old Thinkpad T430 suddenly shut down this Monday. Then I pressed the power button several times, but power light only kept on for 2 seconds with fan spinning then powered-off each time. I think it's the problem of battery. I removed the battery and plugged AC power, but T430 still turned on for 2 seconds then powered-off. After a few minutes, it turned on normally. But after 30 minutes in Windows 10, it powered-off without any notification.

I think it must be the problem of the motherboard. I pulled out all hard drive, SSD and external devices. Then pressed F12 to enter Lenovo Diagnostics. I used a stopwatch to check if my laptop will power-off after 30 mins. I tried 3 times, the answer is yes, it will power-off after exactly 30 minutes.

I wanted to enter BIOS, but when I pressed F1, the screen just turned black. I pressed F12 to enter Lenovo Diagnostics again and ran every test. The results of the tests didn't show any problem. Then I disassembled my T430, cleaned and changed the thermal paste on CPU, GPU, and fan. Then monitored temperature using HWMonitor and SpeedFan. I found out it will power-off after 30 minutes no mater at high or low temperature.

On Tuesday, I continued to work on it. When I pressed the power button, my T430 powered-off after 2 seconds again. So I reset EC ( Embedded Controller ) and no more this problem happened on Wednesday. But BIOS still can't enter and it will power-off after 30 mins. The version of my T430 BIOS is the latest v2.79, I updated to this BIOS in February. I tried some methods such as turning off fast startup and hybrid shut down, or UEFI Firmware Settings, none of these worked.

I searched online and found that there were laptops with the same problem as mine. Some of them just changed motherboard then this problem solved. If I have time, I will try to change a new motherboard for my T430. But I just bought a T480 on Wednesday.

The temporary solution for "30 mins shut down problem" is very interesting.

Just sleep before 30 mins then wake up, there will be another 30 mins limit, then sleep before another 30 mins then wake up......

Is this BIOS bug, BIOS virus, or failure of the motherboard?

If you know the reason for these problems, please tell me.

I'm not a native English speaker. Please forgive me if there are some grammar mistakes.

Thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,595
Message 2 of 6

Re: T430 shuts down after exactly 30 minutes

Does it shut down the operating system or does it just power off.  If you run extended diagnostics, does it shut off?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bill0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,576
Message 3 of 6

It’ll power-off after exactly 30 mins, no matter in the operate system or not. Just like all the electricity of my laptop suddenly disappeared.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,562
Message 4 of 6

If you didn't replace the CPU, most likely the Intel ME firmware is corrupted.
Check out its status.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Bill0
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,518
Message 5 of 6

No, I didn’t change cpu. I checked Intel ME, and no Intel ME device in device manager.

I used MEInfoWin to check IME, it just showed two errors:

Error 9458: Communication error between application and Intel (R) ME module (FW Update client)

Error 9459: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)

Then I tried to install Intel Management Engine Components, but it showed “This platform is not supported”. I think I had disabled Intel AMT in bios several months ago. 

I also downgraded BIOS from v2.79 to v2.78, but the laptop still shut down after 30 minutes. And after POST then pressed F1 to enter bios setup, it showed black screen too.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,497
Message 6 of 6

That's a key of issue IMHO, IME fw failure. (I hope you launched the meinfo tool with administrator privileges),

IME drivers installation need proper Intel ME fw presence. IME fw can't be updated using the tool from the package if the IME drivers aren't installed IME fw isn't updated during BIOS update with default settings.
One of the way to update the IME fw under Windows is to use low level flash tools from Intel ME System Tools set. Its version should match to the laptop platform' chipset version/model.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors