Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjoseph90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 995
Message 1 of 4

T430 will not start with battery in

I have a T430 that will not boot when the battery is in the laptop.  I thought this was a battery issue so I bought a replacement from Amazon and the problem went away for about 3 months.  Now the issue is back so I ended up buying a new battery directly from Lenovo just to make sure I was getting a good battery.  Last night I put the brand new battery in the laptop and again it will not boot with the battery in.

To be clear.  The laptop works fine when it is either docked or plugged in with the battery not installed.  The problem is only when the battery is in the laptop.  It blinks once and then shuts right back down.  I know the battery is good since I bought the brand new one directly from Lenovo.  

Any suggestions?

Update - I noticed last night that when I try to start the laptop with the battery in but not plugged in it will not even blink.  When it is plugged in it will blink once and shut off right away.  Could it be a bad connection from the battery to the laptop somewhere?  It's a brand new battery.

rjoseph90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 936
Message 2 of 4

Re: T430 will not start with battery in

Another update:  I grabbed an old 70++ battery and the laptop starts but then gives me an 0190:Critical low battery error.  

The laptop runs fine when I leave the battery out but will not boot with the battery installed even though it is plugged in.  The other battery I tried was brand new from Lenovo so I'm assuming it was not charged and the laptop will not start up when it in the machine.  I've left it plugged in overnight just to see if it was a slow charge but still does not work.  It just won't start up with the battery in.  Please help.  It seems like I wasted $140 buying a new battery directly for Lenovo at this point.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 930
Message 3 of 4

Sounds like the power transistors on the motherboard are bad.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
rjoseph90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 922
Message 4 of 4

Thanks richk,

Does that mean a new motherboard is needed?  That sounds like a big deal...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors