Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SierraGobi3000
Punch Card
Views: 208
Message 1 of 11

T430 with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - WWAN Sierra MC8355 Gobi 3000 "Account not active"

Hi,

I am trying to use the WWAN SIM slot on my T430, however, whether a SIM card is inserted or not, I have this error: vkYeNFaThe Error Message

My problem appears to be identical to this, so I was following the instructions, but I can't find LenovoQMISetup.exe in those locations, I do, however, have a LenovoGobi3kSetup.exe which I tried installing but it doesn't make any difference. I am using these drivers, as it says in the summary of changes:

• (New) Removed support for Microsoft Windows 10 32-bit, 64-bit.
  • (New) Added support for Microsoft Windows 10 32-bit, 64-bit.

Additional information:

6OKRYhD

Thanks for your time!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 175
Message 2 of 11

Re: T430 with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - WWAN Sierra MC8355 Gobi 3000 "Account not active"

Welcome to the Community

Firstly, you have a wwan modem with faked IMEI. That IMEI value is completely incorrect, doesn't match to the standard. I understand the reason it is what it is, but it's a fake. Depending on certain cellular operator rules this modem might be rejected to work in its network.

Secondly, the fw image loaded into the modem matches to Verizon network. If your location is UK, this fw is useless as it's applicable to CDMA networks only. The thread with my participation you've linked explains what to perform in order to change default fw image. Though, the file name to install the drivers with certain parameters is LenovoGobi3kSetup instead of the one in that thread mentioned. Or you can edit configuration.ini file in the folder with exe file, appropriate parameter value is DEFAULTIMAGE=6

Lastly, check out proper SIM card orientation in the laptop slot.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

SierraGobi3000
Punch Card
Views: 172
Message 3 of 11

Re: T430 with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - WWAN Sierra MC8355 Gobi 3000 "Account not active"

Thanks for your reply! I installed the drivers with LenovoGobi3kSetup.exe with DEFAULTIMAGE=6.

I now have a different error. Windows claims that a SIM is not inserted, despite one being present and oriented correctly:

sXorHuf

zfCdiss

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 163
Message 4 of 11

Power off laptop, then power it on with SIM card inserted. Then check out the cellular settings in Windows, mainly APN value in connection profile.

Regarding the SIM card insertion follow the UG, p.97
https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t430_t430i_ug_en.pdf

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

SierraGobi3000
Punch Card
Views: 159
Message 5 of 11

I tried removing, shutting down and inserting it before starting up a couple of times but to no luck. It still says 'Insert SIM'. I can't find APN settings - I think they're available once the network is detected?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 141
Message 6 of 11

Since your modem is powered on (both hardware and software radio states are on), cellular settings should appear if the SIM card is recognized. Read this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10739/windows-10-cellular-settings

Make sure the SIM card has mobile broadband option / service activated by the operator. Does it work in another device?
Take a look at the SIM card holder inside, whether its pins aren't broken.
BTW, what's the name of your cellular operator?

SierraGobi3000
Punch Card
Views: 136
Message 7 of 11

The Microsoft support link states that I should be able to add an APN after clicking on the 'Advanced options', but this is what it looks like for me: gaXbzKR

I can see the front 3 pins in the slot, so it seems alright, at least from the outside.

I'm trying everything with two major UK operators, Three and EE, both of which have mobile data enabled. They both work on my phone.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 114
Message 8 of 11

Make sure 3G broadband service is available on the SIM card and present at your location..

The issue might be caused by the SIM card and fw image mismatching. If the wwan modem doesn't recognize the SIM card and isn't able to load proper fw image itself, we have an issue. There should be a log on the laptop, txt file with QDLService in the name, it might help a bit.

Current modem' fw image is applicable to most UMTS networks worldwide. From what I've read, the EE's network can be based on Orange and/or T-Mobile infrastructures as these operators are the founders of EE company in UK. MC8355 has appropriate fw images for those operators - #4 matches to T-Mobile, #9 - Orange.

Three company is affiliated to Orange either, at least some Three's services work in the partnership with Orange.

So, for now, I don't see another reason of the issue. Try to change default fw image to 9. Use drivers installation parameter or an application GobiImgMgr in the drivers package to manage default image. Another way is to use 3rd party tool for the same action.

Though, I'm not sure for 100% it's a real reason of issue with SIM card.

SierraGobi3000
Punch Card
Views: 91
Message 9 of 11

I have verified that the networks I'm trying to use are available: 69mJemV

I also tried firmware images 4, 6 and 9 for both EE and Three SIMs, but the error is the same, "Insert SIM".

I couldn't find a log file using Windows search, could you perhaps tell me where to look for it?

I know this is a long shot but I have to ask: I have a smart card slot in my laptop - the kind that can read SIM cards, EMV debit/credit cards, etc. Is there any way to use that to insert the card and then use the available MC8355 to connect to it?

SierraGobi3000
Punch Card
Views: 70
Message 10 of 11

I had a suspicion that the flap used to retrieve the SIM was somehow getting in the way and I was right. I now inserted the SIM without the flap in between (yes, taking it out would be a challenge now), and I can use my Three UK SIM to connect to the internet!

x220forme - Thank you so much for taking the time to help me go from a CDMA firmware to working mobile broadband! I have accepted your first reply as the solution, because that solved the original firmware problem.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors