Did you mean: 
KrowHell
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,494
Message 1 of 11

T430 with two 500 GB HDD : RAID ?

Hi people,

My question is on the title :

Given a T430 with a 500 GB primary disk and an additional 500 GB instead of the optical drive, is it possible to configure the BIOS to set a RAID 0 or RAID 1 mode between these two HDD ?

Thanks.

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 6,476
Message 2 of 11

Re: T430 with two 500 GB HDD : RAID ?

As far as I know only the W series ThinkPad's have a RAID controller.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 6,456
Message 3 of 11

Yeap, as JDay have said, the RAID feature is not available on the T430, T430s, and T530, only available on the W530.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
KrowHell
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,454
Message 4 of 11

Arf, bad news, I would really like to do RAID 1 with a T430 ...

Thanks for your answers.

Guru
Views: 6,368
Message 5 of 11

You should be able to create a software RAID. I've only done this on Linux, but this article should be enough to get you started on a Windows system: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36504/how-to-create-a-software-raid-array-in-windows-7/ . 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 6,344
Message 6 of 11

@nibs wrote:

You should be able to create a software RAID. I've only done this on Linux, but this article should be enough to get you started on a Windows system: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36504/how-to-create-a-software-raid-array-in-windows-7/ . 

I wouldn't waste my time with software RAID. If speed is what you need go with either a Samsung 830 series or a Crucial M4 SSD. You'll get far more speed out of either than you would a two drive RAID configuration. Both of those drives are very reliable and in fact are two of the most reliable on the market. The M4 can currently be had for quite cheap as well. You can get the 256GB version for $179.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 6,329
Message 7 of 11

JDAY has it right.  You really want an SSD for your boot and programs disk and a hard drive of whatever size you like as the data drive.  RAID is old technology and for performance is obsolete.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Guru
Views: 6,301
Message 8 of 11

@KrowHell wrote:

I would really like to do RAID 1 with a T430 ... 

RAID 1 isn't about speed, although it can increase read speeds. It does reduce write speeds. Its about having a live redundant copy of everything in case one drive fails. While a RAID of SSDs would be very nice, it could also be cost prohibitive. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 6,289
Message 9 of 11

@nibs wrote:

@KrowHell wrote:

I would really like to do RAID 1 with a T430 ... 

RAID 1 isn't about speed, although it can increase read speeds. It does reduce write speeds. Its about having a live redundant copy of everything in case one drive fails. While a RAID of SSDs would be very nice, it could also be cost prohibitive. 

The thing about having a redundant copy on an identical drive is that if one drive has a mechanical failure you can expect the other drive to fail around the same time since the hardware is identical and has the same duty cycle. The redundancy concept behind RAID is nice but I wouldn't rely on it. A quality SSD should not fail on you the way a HDD can, when they die it's usually because they've ran out of write cycles which can take upwards of 10 years. When this happens you can still retrieve your data from them, you just can no longer store any new data. Cost wise you can get two 256GB Crucial M4's for around $300 these days, $100 less for two 128GB M4's. Keep one in your closet in case the main dies and use the stock drive in the UltraBay to make nightly incremental backups using Rescue & Recovery. If you do this and the SSD fails you can be back up and running in about 2 hours. But I'm willing to bet the HDD dies first.

Here's a screenshot showing the health of my Corsair Force F120 which has been in use for a little over a year and a half and has seen quite a bit of use. Notice the expected lifetime remaining and how much data has been written to it, this drive gets a lot of use.

http://imgur.com/vYuyP

One other thing to keep in mind when considering a software RAID solution is that it will tax your system resources since there is no dedicated RAID controller and they are prone to data corruption. Not to mention that if the laptop should fail and you do not have an identical laptop to stick the drives into your data may be unrecoverable. I've even seen this happen when a RAID controller fails and it is replaced with the same model that is a different hardware revision. And RAID is not a backup solution.

RAID is Not a Backup Solution

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 6,265
Message 10 of 11

Right, RAID 1, I wasn't reading closely.  What I do is have a 1 TB USB drive plugged into the base station, and whenever I dock my thinkpad it gets backed up.  Rarely a day goes by without docking.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors